Old 28-05-2005, 08:23 PM
gary caunt

Default UK QUESTION

hi. need to lay a brick border around the pond.
question is i`m not sure if the mortar will damage any of the pond life, ie:
fish plant etc

can anyone in the uk advise please

Old 30-05-2005, 09:51 AM
Peter Breed

gary caunt wrote:
hi. need to lay a brick border around the pond.
question is i`m not sure if the mortar will damage any of the pond life, ie:
fish plant etc

can anyone in the uk advise please

Mortar is very basic and could cause your ponds pH to go up, make sure
you don't let any get into the pond; If your water level is going to
cover it you could seal it, I used V8 pondseal on my coping stones which
are cast concrete and could have caused the same problem.
I guess the key thing is to keep a close eye on the pH after you are
done, if it gets above 9 do lots of partial water changes and also check
your ammonia and KH levels regularly. Ammonia is much more toxic to fish
at high pH, and if your KH keeps rising it suggests your mortar is
getting into the water.

Peter