Old 01-06-2005, 05:27 AM
Koi4Me

Default Raised without brineshrimp...

The little koi and goldfish are doing well, and some are getting colors.
Some are "PINK." They were raised in green water and fed eggyolk the first
week or so of their lives. I was told and read that baby brineshrimp are
necessary to raise them - not true! The yolks were mixed with powdered fry
food and dropped into the pools where they hung out with a large eye
dropper. Now they're all on flakes and small HBH soft pellets alone and
come swimming over as fast as they can when they see someone approach. They
act like little adult fish now, and eat many times a day. They're never
full. I have canned peas and may try squishing a few and see if they'll eat
them. Trying to tell the koi from the GF fry isn't easy at this age. The
GF are shubunkins.

So if you think you can't raise them without a lot of work and baby
brineshrimp,... I say go for the easy way - it works! :-)))
--
Koi4Me.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 02-06-2005, 03:44 AM
Snooze

"Koi4Me" wrote in message
The little koi and goldfish are doing well, and some are getting colors.
Some are "PINK." They were raised in green water and fed eggyolk the
first
week or so of their lives. I was told and read that baby brineshrimp are
necessary to raise them - not true!

Obviously brine shrimp aren't necessary. Brine shrimp aren't exactly common
in the waters where most pet fish are originally from, they're a common food
for fry because of their size, convenient to hatch. In nature, fry live on
all kinds of native insects and microorganisms such as daphnia, paramecium,
various worms, mosquito larva and algae plus all kinds of gnats and small
flying insects that fall into the water.

-S

Old 02-06-2005, 05:06 AM
Koi4Me

"Snooze" wrote in message
"Koi4Me" wrote in message
The little koi and goldfish are doing well, and some are getting colors.
Some are "PINK." They were raised in green water and fed eggyolk the
first
week or so of their lives. I was told and read that baby brineshrimp

are
necessary to raise them - not true!

Obviously brine shrimp aren't necessary. Brine shrimp aren't exactly

common
in the waters where most pet fish are originally from, they're a common

food
for fry because of their size, convenient to hatch. In nature, fry live on
all kinds of native insects and microorganisms such as daphnia,

paramecium,
various worms, mosquito larva and algae plus all kinds of gnats and small
flying insects that fall into the water.

-S

And they surely have many of these things in the sunny outdoor pools which
also contain a lot of pond plants. The pools are barely 5' south of the
forest edge which here in TN is insect and bug heaven. I tried brineshrimp
nauppli (sp?) when I was raising GF indoors a few years ago. It was an
expensive proposition and most eggs never hatched. The fry did poorly in
indoor tanks. Eggyolk added to the mess....... I'll never try that again.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.