Old 08-06-2005, 05:18 PM
John

Default Whats the best way to plant parrots feather and anacbarts?

Do they need to be achored in a pot or just let them float around the pond??
Girlfriend picked up a couple of bunches of both..

Old 08-06-2005, 06:05 PM
~Roy~

Parrots feather is far from being choosey as to how it gets planted.
Let it float, stick it in a pot, shove it in a crack between rocks, as
long as it gets its stem wet it could care less. Short of throwing PF
on a hard hot surface with no water it thrives most any way its
planted.

Not familiar with the other plant, at least by that name. Are you sure
you did not mean "Anacaris" ?
On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:18:28 -0400, "John" wrote:

===Do they need to be achored in a pot or just let them float around the pond??
===Girlfriend picked up a couple of bunches of both..
===

Old 08-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Reel Mckoi

"John" wrote in message
Do they need to be achored in a pot or just let them float around the

pond??
Girlfriend picked up a couple of bunches of both..

=======================
I just drop them in the water and they flourish. Some people sink a few
inches into gravel in a pot. They will do good either way as long as they
get enough sun.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 08-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Reel Mckoi

"John" wrote in message
yes it's Anacaris i was going by the receeipt which is hard to read

====================
Same treatment. It may root itself if it crosses over a pot containing soil
and gravel. Some of mine is free growing and some has rooted into the pots
of other plants.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 08-06-2005, 06:42 PM
~Roy~

for the anarcaris, its best to weight the one end and submerge it
fully. If its planted in a pot filled with fine aquarium gravel it
does good, as does plantin git in dirt or just weighted and held
uynder so the stem floats towards the surface. It also seems to do
much better if the stems are kept at 24 inches or less for best
growth. I just toss clumps of it in my pond with a weight and it does
not take long for it to take root and start multiplying..........but
once it gets too long it gets kind of wimply and yellow pretty quick,
and I have found about 24" OAL to be a pretty good number to keep it
trimed off at.

If you band it together use a lead weight but do not pinch it too
tightly or it will induce stem rot at the weight. Do not use rubber
bands either as they get too constrictive and leads to premature
breakage at the band as well as stem rot. You can band them with a
rubber band however if you plant them in a a pot of fine gravel as by
the time the stem breaks at the band they should have put out new
roots etc to anchor them in the pots.
It will also take full sun or partial sun, same as parrots feather.
PArrots feather doe snot like being submerged, although it will grow
to the surface from submerged roots.......when planted like that the
lower in the water foilage will usually turn yellow and then brown and
fall off leaving a bare stem from which numerous hair roots grow from
the segments. PF does best if planted with just the end of the stems
in water or allow them to float where the plant will start to turn
upwards away from the water towards the sun, and the stem in contact
with the water will eventually loose its foilage and put out hair
roots down through the water.

Old 08-06-2005, 08:23 PM
Reel Mckoi

John wrote:
Do they need to be achored in a pot or just let them float around the pond??
Girlfriend picked up a couple of bunches of both..

stick them out the hole of your ear first. and remember to blame Jabriol
for this post

The war on Jabriol has only begun!

CR...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 08-06-2005, 10:39 PM
San Diego Joe

"John" wrote:

Do they need to be achored in a pot or just let them float around the pond??
Girlfriend picked up a couple of bunches of both..

I like to anchor mine - easier to control. Both will self anchor anyway if
you let them float around. I have anacharis that's rooted 3 1/2 feet down.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 09-06-2005, 03:26 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Contact BV and he will tell you a special way to plant them.

Jim

Parrots feather Walter Ponds 3 22-02-2005 12:48 AM
Parrots feather ..yet again and Touch me Plants Roy Ponds 2 31-08-2004 05:38 PM
Parrots feather ..yet again and Touch me Plants Roy Ponds 0 29-08-2004 08:28 PM
Parrots Feather Heather Ponds 6 27-04-2004 02:07 AM
K30a: illegal parrots feather Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 4 12-07-2003 09:32 PM