Old 08-06-2005, 06:45 PM
mark Bannister

Default lonely shubunkin

We have some fish in the pond only because a friend moved and begged us
to take them. There a a few goldfish and one larger shubunkin. I think
it's a shubunkin. I can't find anything else that it might be.
Anyway the shubunkin is driving the other fish nuts. His favorite game
is to take the fat one (maybe some sort of oranda) and push him around
from the side or underneath. The little guy can barely swim as it is
with his short stubby fins. He will circle him around the pond 2-3
times before he gets away.

So, is this some sort of mating thing? The shubunkin doesn't bite or
pick at them, just loves to push them around. I find the other goldfish
hiding (and panting heavily) in the veggie filter. If the shubunkin
finds them he will root them out, or sometimes just wiggle in beside
them. That's what made me think it was a mating thing.

Mark b.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Gale Pearce

So, is this some sort of mating thing? The shubunkin doesn't bite or
pick at them, just loves to push them around. I find the other goldfish
hiding (and panting heavily) in the veggie filter. If the shubunkin
finds them he will root them out, or sometimes just wiggle in beside
them. That's what made me think it was a mating thing.

Yup - you got it - the Shubunkin is a male and those that he is nudging and
pushing around are females, trying to help them release their eggs so he can
fertilize them
Gale :~)

Old 08-06-2005, 07:48 PM
2Rowdy

Message ,
by author mark Bannister aka
inspired me,
We have some fish in the pond only because a friend moved and
begged us to take them. There a a few goldfish and one larger
shubunkin. I think it's a shubunkin. I can't find anything else
that it might be. Anyway the shubunkin is driving the other fish
nuts. His favorite game is to take the fat one (maybe some sort of
oranda) and push him around from the side or underneath. The
little guy can barely swim as it is with his short stubby fins. He
will circle him around the pond 2-3 times before he gets away.

So, is this some sort of mating thing? The shubunkin doesn't bite
or pick at them, just loves to push them around. I find the other
goldfish hiding (and panting heavily) in the veggie filter. If the
shubunkin finds them he will root them out, or sometimes just
wiggle in beside them. That's what made me think it was a mating
thing.

Sounds like mating behavour. The big fish must be female.
Shubinkins are blue/ white/ red spotted fish with a slightly longer
tail compared with normal goldfish.
Their behaviour is totally different from goldfish.
They are more active and like to inspect new things. It's the favorite
food for some birds just becourse the birds don't have to make any
effort.
--
d:Johan; Certifiable me
Seasons Wishes at http://www.aacit.net/aac.gif
Old 08-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Koi4Me

"mark Bannister" wrote in message

So, is this some sort of mating thing? The shubunkin doesn't bite or
pick at them, just loves to push them around. I find the other goldfish
hiding (and panting heavily) in the veggie filter. If the shubunkin
finds them he will root them out, or sometimes just wiggle in beside
them. That's what made me think it was a mating thing.

=========================
Yes! He's *ready* and it sounds like the females are not. They may be too
young or already shed their eggs this spring.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:08 PM
mark Bannister

Koi4Me wrote:

=========================
Yes! He's *ready* and it sounds like the females are not. They may be too
young or already shed their eggs this spring.

Can a shubunkin and goldfish breed?

Old 08-06-2005, 10:37 PM
Koi4Me

Koi4Me wrote:

=========================
Yes! He's *ready* and it sounds like the females are not. They may be

too
young or already shed their eggs this spring.

Can a shubunkin and goldfish breed?

===================
Yes. Both are goldfish.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 09-06-2005, 01:14 AM
RichToyBox

Yes.
--
RichToyBox

Old 09-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Registered User

I put a shubunkin in with comets, an oranda, and common goldfish. They all intermingled and now I have some of the most beautiful fish. The original oranda and shubunkin were eaten by a heron.

Are you LONELY and STRESSED? AP Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 17-08-2012 02:34 PM
Lonely... Higgs Boson Gardening 5 01-11-2011 12:33 AM
So lonely... Higgs Boson Gardening 55 07-01-2011 10:43 PM
snowy, lonely and tired of having to go into the dragon-cave to access my e-mail and newsgroup madgardener Gardening 8 19-01-2004 03:02 AM