Old 13-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Oxymel of Squill

if such things happened they'd breed snails that only eat weeds

"Courageous" wrote in message

On the subject of pond fish, one can find oodles of online information
regarding goldfish and koi. And potentially various loaches, for
detritovore
activity on the bottom.

But... what kinds of freshwater fish are algae eaters and generally safe
for ponds, in a comet/koi environment, and with the temperature swings
that are more commonly associated with ponds.

I can find lots of algae eaters for freshwater aquaria, but these seem
to like unrealistically high temperatures.

Thoughts/ideas?

C//

Old 13-06-2005, 07:04 PM
~Roy~

They do fine in ponds as you stated but temps much below what a
tropical can take will do them in. I tried a few in my wifes half
barrels and up until the water temps got into the mid to low 60's they
did fine.....

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 06:06:21 -0700, Courageous
wrote:

===
=== I can find lots of algae eaters for freshwater aquaria, but these seem
=== to like unrealistically high temperatures.
===
===I finally found something. The Chinese Weather Loach, also called the
===Dojos Loach. They appear to do well in ponds. They're also detritovores,
===so if you have a few, they'll eat that extra koi food.
===
===They tolerate a broad range of temperatures, although I don't know if
===they will overwinter a freeze zone. I'm in San Diego, so I didn't check
===that one out too carefully.
===
===C//

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 13-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Koi-Phonics

"Courageous" wrote in message

On the subject of pond fish, one can find oodles of online information
regarding goldfish and koi. And potentially various loaches, for

detritovore
activity on the bottom.

But... what kinds of freshwater fish are algae eaters and generally safe
for ponds, in a comet/koi environment, and with the temperature swings
that are more commonly associated with ponds.

I can find lots of algae eaters for freshwater aquaria, but these seem
to like unrealistically high temperatures.

Thoughts/ideas?

=======================
You could probably put a placostamous (sp?) in you pond for the *warmer
months* - or any tropical algae eater for that matter.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

"Shark" Algae Eater? stricks760 Ponds 2 02-02-2004 10:02 PM
Good thread algae eater for 15 gallon tank with live plants - Correction it's fuzz Michael Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 26-07-2003 04:32 PM
cold water algae eater JohnDoe Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:23 AM
Chinese Algae Eater Mike K Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:15 AM
cold water algae eater JohnDoe Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 26-02-2003 02:44 PM