Old 20-06-2005, 01:36 AM
Nedra

It is really good to be back.

Thanks to all of you for the wonderful welcome!

Nedra in Missouri
Zone 6

Old 20-06-2005, 03:13 AM
Wilmdale

Courageous wrote:

Yep, I now tease them about my pond and that fact that it is as big as
it is because they kept telling "know-nothing" me, 'make it bigger!'
That is how it came to be the size it is.

Perhaps they accidented into being right. Thing is, you (and the
fish too) are probably happier with it being bigger. Wish I had
room for 5,000 gallons, truly.

C//

Yes, I think you are right! :-) . They do comment every once in a while
about "pond envy" LOL :-D .
And the fish do seem to enjoy the room. Today there was a bit of
activity with the dragon flies and dainty dragon fly looking fliers, a
frog that has moved in, bumble bees and honey bees working the iris.
Was nice to just sit and enjoy. :-)
W. Dale

Old 20-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Courageous

4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.

Pond size as a measure of manliness?

*wink*

C//

Old 20-06-2005, 11:40 PM
Reel Mckoi

*muffin* wrote:
I wonder if anyone can help me with this one.

I just got new test kits, brand of Laguna.

the nitrite test kits shows results as 0.1 to 3.3 mg/l (ppm)
& the nitrate test as 5-110 mg/l (ppm)

now the nitrate results look they read right. but what am I missing on the
nitrite one? shouldn't that also be in the 1-100 range? not a 0.1?

my results show:
nitrite 0.4
ph 7.5
ammonia 0
nitrate 5-10
kh 60.. yup I know that is low, I just added baking soda

2 weeks ago I emptied my pond, to clean out the sludge in the bottom,, put
back 1/2 the original water ( saved in a BIG container) the rest was rain
water from cistern ( figure that is where the low kh is)

I was trying to do research on here about nitrites & nitrates, and cannot
get a definitive answer on it in my case. I don't have ammonia ( but then I
am testing with the nessler (one bottle kind). & have read that if I had
nitrates things should be cycling ok.

any suggestions?
(gotta check oxygen tomorrow)

Carol remailers has been traced to:

Please inform them that their customer is abusing their service
By spaming the net via remailers. Thay have a firsthop log file.
The account is alias alias

The above is Carol gate way from her home PC to her remailers and NSP.

And she thought her remailers could not be traced.

OrgName: Hughes Network Systems
OrgID: HNS
Address: 11717 Exploration Lane
Address: DirecWAY Network Management Center
Address: attn: Network Security Manager
City: Germantown
StateProv: MD
PostalCode: 20876
Country: US

NetRange: 66.82.0.0 - 66.82.255.255
CIDR: 66.82.0.0/16
NetName: DIRECPC-1BLK
NetHandle: NET-66-82-0-0-1
Parent: NET-66-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
NameServer: NS1.DIRECPC.COM
NameServer: NS2.DIRECPC.COM
Comment: ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE
RegDate: 2001-02-28
Updated: 2003-01-21

TechHandle: ZD63-ARIN
TechName: DirecPC
TechPhone: +1-301-601-7205
TechEmail:

OrgTechHandle: NSM5-ARIN
OrgTechName: Network Security Manager
OrgTechPhone: +1-301-601-7205
OrgTechEmail:

Old 20-06-2005, 11:40 PM
Reel Mckoi

George wrote:
"*muffin*" wrote in message

I wonder if anyone can help me with this one.

I just got new test kits, brand of Laguna.

the nitrite test kits shows results as 0.1 to 3.3 mg/l (ppm)
& the nitrate test as 5-110 mg/l (ppm)

now the nitrate results look they read right. but what am I missing on
the
nitrite one? shouldn't that also be in the 1-100 range? not a 0.1?

No. Nitrite is orders of magnitudes more harmful to aquatic life than
nitrates are. Ideally, you should be getting a reading of 0 ppm. This is
why this test is much more sensitive than the one for nitrates.

my results show:
nitrite 0.4
ph 7.5
ammonia 0
nitrate 5-10
kh 60.. yup I know that is low, I just added baking soda

2 weeks ago I emptied my pond, to clean out the sludge in the bottom,,
put
back 1/2 the original water ( saved in a BIG container) the rest was rain
water from cistern ( figure that is where the low kh is)

The nitrite should taper off in the next few days. I would monitor it
carefully, especially if you have any fish in your pond.

I was trying to do research on here about nitrites & nitrates, and cannot
get a definitive answer on it in my case. I don't have ammonia ( but then
am testing with the nessler (one bottle kind). & have read that if I had
nitrates things should be cycling ok.

any suggestions?
(gotta check oxygen tomorrow)

The nitrogen cycle is thus: For a new pond/aquarium, you will usually see
ammonia at about 3-5 days. It usually spikes at 7 to 10 days, then tapers
off as the ammonmia is converted to nitrite. The nitrite usually starts to
show up at 10-14 days, and will begin to taper off as it is converted to
nitrate. After 21-30 days you should see no ammonia or nitrite, only
nitrate. Having said this, since you used some of your old water (which is
good), you aren't seeing the same levels that you would normally see with a
brand new set up. Since you are seeing nitrate already, either it was
already in the old water (likely) or any nitrite build up has already
passed and you should see it drop off in the next few days. I would
monitor it very closely. If it goes higher (say to 1 ppm or higher), you
may consider doing a 5-10% water change. If your fish are showing no signs
of distress, for now, I'd watch and wait. You might also considering
adding aquazyme or similar product to the water at this time.

[...]

Isle of wight....High Nitrite levels Jerrispond Ponds (alternative) 4 30-08-2003 11:16 AM
Nitrite problem Carl Beyer Ponds 1 24-07-2003 10:22 PM
Nitrite/New Pond Sniz Ponds 2 26-06-2003 03:20 PM
Nitrite/New Pond Sniz Ponds 0 26-06-2003 06:41 AM
Biobugs/nitrIte Lee Brouillet Ponds 5 03-02-2003 02:39 PM