Old 18-06-2005, 10:48 PM
zookeeper

Default Pump choice, water flow choices -- long post

We have 3500 gal main koi pond (12 12-28 inch koi) with water lilies,
underwater plants and marginals on shelves, 250 gal "vegie filter" waterfall
head pond, a gradual waterfall (2 foot drop over 3 foot length), and DIY
filter system built before we purchased home in 1997.

Had a 3500gph Little Giant submersible from 1997-2005 -- least expensive
alternative for flow rate available locally at that time. We were pumping
from the pump in the pond through 2-inch flex line / 2-inch PVC to top of a
50 gallon plastic barrel for first stage of filtering; line enters from top
but discharges 1/3 from bottom of barrel. Two 3 inch pipes near top of first
barrel overflow to two 50 gallon plastic barrels for biological filtering,
then two bottom drains gravity feed back through 2 inch PVC to pond. A 1
inch line to waterfall pond gravity flows from mid-top of first barrel.
First barrel originally held filter fiber matting, and 2nd barrels
originally held lava rock. First barrel now uses window screening material,
and biological filtering material (textured plastic strips) in 2nd stage
barrels.

We want to replace the LG submersible with an external pump. We're looking
at Sequence 1000 Series and considering 5800SEQ23 with primer pot / leaf
basket. We want to place it in-line just before 1st stage barrel, pulling
water through strainer, flex line and rigid PVC pipe. The total linear
distance of hose/pipe from the strainer inlet to the first filter barrel
would be ~12-14 feet, and the total height from the strainer inlet to the
pump intake would be ~5 feet. The filter barrels are in a shed so the pump
would be protected from weather. Cost is currently a major factor, although
in going to the external pump we hope to save by reducing monthly electrical
expenses. Do you think the Sequence will be a good choice for our setup? Do
you think we can configure it as outlined here? It may be a little more
powerful than we need now, but from what I've read, we control that by the
size of pipes used for outlet (between pump and first barrel).

In the future we plan to add a skimmer with a UV sterilizer to far side of
pond and would like to draw water from there, both through skimmer niche and
an attached flex line with bottom vacuum drain (instead of currently planned
bottom line and strainer). If we add the skimmer, can it be used with the
external Sequence pump pulling the water through it to the filter (barrels)?
We may also want to add a stream from the waterfall head pond, but that
shouldn't effect the size of the pump as water is not pumped but gravity fed
to the head pond.

Looking for realistic, on-topic, helpful feedback. Newsgroup filters in full
swing ;-)
--
Zk
Oregon, USDA Zone 7

Old 19-06-2005, 11:32 PM
~Roy~

There is no reason a Sequence 5800SEQ23 would not work. Sequence makes
a great pump, and even their Value Flo models are
great........unfortunately they do not work as good in lots of ponds
ike the 750 series as they are both low head pumps, but the volume of
water they put out is fine.

I owuld regulate the flow with a valve as its more precise than usuing
larger or smaller sized pipe. A valve after the pump in the discharge
plumbing will not hurt anything and actually Sequence as well as WLim
will tell you its best to have them work against a bit of a load for
better efficiency. Its also best to have too much and reduce its flow
than insufficient flow and not be able to do anyhting about it other
than replace the pump. I think you will find the Sequence line of
pumps to be very efficient and move a lot of water economically and
dependably

Another company Performance Pro (IIRC) sold by Horizon Company which
is a pond supply company with dealers located all over the USA makes a
line of pumps identical to the line of the Sequence pumps but at a
laower price and with 1 years less warraanty than Sequrences 3 year
waranty. Its identical rght down to replacement parts with Sequence
pumps, and costs qute a few dollars less than a Sequence, not that
Sequence is expensive as I do not consider it big bucks for what you
get. However if you want a very very efficient and reliable pump have
you checked out the Wlim series of pumps........they rock, and
outperform most models of Sequence, but are somewhat more expensive.

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 14:48:08 -0700, "zookeeper"
wrote:

===We have 3500 gal main koi pond (12 12-28 inch koi) with water lilies,
===underwater plants and marginals on shelves, 250 gal "vegie filter" waterfall
===head pond, a gradual waterfall (2 foot drop over 3 foot length), and DIY
===filter system built before we purchased home in 1997.
===
[...]

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 20-06-2005, 01:06 AM
RichToyBox

I don't know how much you have been getting in the way of solids, but the
leaf trap on the sequence and other pumps is really quite small, and may
need cleaning fairly frequently. I have 3 sequence pumps, 3 bead filters, 2
ponds, each with skimmer and vortex. Some form of solids prefilter would be
desirable. Whatever you put in, try to make it where fish and frogs cannot
get in. I use shower drains in my skimmers and hardware cloth over the
outflows of the vortex filters. I have had to take plumbing apart 3 times
to extract frogs. One had a leg amputated, since I had to guess where he
was, cut the pipe, extract him, and reglue the piping. I run a vortex and
skimmer from the same pump. It would be advantageous to put a 3 way ball
valve in to control the amount of flow from each device to get balance.
--
RichToyBox

"zookeeper" wrote in message
[...]

Water Flow reduction - pump or line problem? Darren Ponds 10 22-06-2005 09:31 PM
pump flow rate? AAALarry Ponds 17 25-10-2004 05:24 PM
"gravity vs pump" flow rates Nathan A. Smith Ponds 6 09-08-2004 01:01 AM
"gravity vs pump" flow rates Nathan A. Smith Ponds 0 08-08-2004 02:37 AM
Seeking recommendations/opinions on pump choices Robert Neary Ponds 2 24-09-2003 11:42 PM