Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-06-2005, 01:56 PM
pixi

Default More Algae Problems

My pond is full of algae. I have tried algaecides (or whatever it is
called}. In a pond about 12 x 14 feet and maybe 3 feet deep in the center
I have three waterlilies, 3 arrowheads, two bullrushes, two irises and about
20 anacharis plants. Also a few parrot feathers. Have a biological filter
and a skimmer. Also have a huge (about 12 " in diameter) ball of barley
straw. And still I have algae.

There are 12 goldfish which I rarely feed and the algae was there before
the fish. There are four frogs that I know of.

So what am I doing wrong. The pond does receive full sun all day (when it
isn't cloudy, that is).

Right now I am reluctant to run the waterfall which runs the filter and
skimmer because I have a very few baby fish and don't want to hurt them.
Most of my goldfish are at least five years old and for some reason there
was only one or two little fish that made it to an inedible size in my pond
down by the woods (where I never have algae). Anyway, I need to replenish
my goldfish supply before they start dying of old age.

Incidentally, the two little fantails were transferred from a 10 gallon tank
to the outside pond and are doing fine. No sign of fin rot.

Will appreciate your comments.