Old 12-09-2003, 11:29 PM
Audra

Default A Decent Fix for Algae Problems

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share information on a product that I stumbled across
and has so far solved my algae problem. I found it while doing a
search on Google, after doing most of the helpful suggestions I have
read elsewhere and I still had water problems.

The product is called warm Microbe-Lift and it is a natural bacteria
that eats the same things algae does, so over time it starves the
algae out. So far I have had great luck with it. Does anyone know
anything about it, positive or negative?

Cheers!

Audra
Old 13-09-2003, 10:02 PM
PlainBill

At first glance, it reminds me of the story of "The old woman who
swallowed a fly". I can accept the existance of a bacteria which
agressively strips the nutriants from the pond. But what happens to
the bacteria? I have this image of a layer of sludge coating the
bottom and sides of the pond, the filter, the fish......

PlainBill

Old 14-09-2003, 01:32 AM
Norm Courage

I have used Microbe Lift for several years now and have had excellent
results with it, however I never really thought of it having much effect on
the algae itself but more on the whole condition of the pond with the good
bacteria that it contains which really aids in seeding the biofilter and
thereby breaking down the nutrients that feed the algae blooms. The microbe
lift web site has some very interesting reading on how it works. Happy
Ponding !

Old 17-09-2003, 02:43 AM
ponder

I agree, I love this product but never thought of it as anything for algae.
It is a seed, and conditioning type of product.

.rogers.com...

Old 18-09-2003, 12:22 AM
Gregory Young

Interesting..
Microbelift contains (depending on the formulation) Nitrosomonas and
Nitrobacter bacteria, the bacteria most thought contributed to the nitrogen
cycle.
Studies over the last few years have shown that Nitrospira species are the
involved bacteria in the nitrogen cycle, not Nitrobacter, and guess what,
they are not in Microbe-lift, and other similar products.
Additionally Dr Johnson, and his group has done studies on the effectiveness
of the additives.
His results: NO difference in speed of colonization of the filter and in
ammonia & nitrite reduction between ponds he set up with and without the
product.
Also the bacterial activity of the liquid formulation which he tested was
not good, with the powdered forms of additives being only somewhat better.
Go to koivet.com, and you can get his results first hand.
His conclusion, and the conclusion of many others in the field, are that
these additives are an unnecessary expenditure.
Happy ponding,
Greg