Old 08-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Richard Holub

Default subliner

Does anyone know if I can use some of that silt-screen material as an
under-liner? Also...anyone have problems with rodents chewing on the liner
from beneath? Any way to prevent that from happening. My pond liner is
going in this week.

Rich Holub here in Taxachusetts...

Old 08-07-2005, 10:26 AM
George

"Richard Holub" wrote in message
Does anyone know if I can use some of that silt-screen material as an
under-liner? Also...anyone have problems with rodents chewing on the
liner from beneath? Any way to prevent that from happening. My pond
liner is going in this week.

Rich Holub here in Taxachusetts...

Silt-screen is designed to allow water to pass through. Need I say more?

Old 08-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Richard Holub

George,

I did not mean to use the silt-screen as a liner BUT as a rubber liner
protection. I noticed that when I cut the silt-screen it is very tuff. So
I assume that it would prevent rocks from pushing through.

Anyone still use old carpeting?...I have lots of it available.

Old 08-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Wilmdale

" George" wrote in message

"Richard Holub" wrote in message

Does anyone know if I can use some of that silt-screen material as an
under-liner? Also...anyone have problems with rodents chewing on the
liner from beneath? Any way to prevent that from happening. My pond
liner is going in this week.

Rich Holub here in Taxachusetts...

Silt-screen is designed to allow water to pass through. Need I say more?

My first padding for the liner was newspaper. Worked well. Then I
'upgraded' to weed barrier/gound cloth. Works pretty good. Next time I
put down a pad, I plan to use old carpet or carpet liner.
W. Dale

Old 08-07-2005, 03:35 PM
George

"Richard Holub" wrote in message
George,

I did not mean to use the silt-screen as a liner BUT as a rubber liner
protection. I noticed that when I cut the silt-screen it is very tuff.
So I assume that it would prevent rocks from pushing through.

Anyone still use old carpeting?...I have lots of it available.

You could use old carpeting. I used an old, thick tarp.

Old 08-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Richard Holub" wrote in message
George,

I did not mean to use the silt-screen as a liner BUT as a rubber liner
protection. I noticed that when I cut the silt-screen it is very tuff.

So
I assume that it would prevent rocks from pushing through.

Anyone still use old carpeting?...I have lots of it available.

========================
Yes. That's what we used under our rubber lined ponds. I got hold of some
cheap used carpeting from a place that sells stuff from Hotels that are
refurbishing their rooms. It was in real good condition, just stained. Why
cares since no one sees it under the liner. Where I live these places are
usually called Liquidators. We also used some old second hand quilts that
were in storage.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 08-07-2005, 08:55 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

"Richard Holub" wrote in message
Does anyone know if I can use some of that silt-screen material as an
under-liner? Also...anyone have problems with rodents chewing on the
liner from beneath? Any way to prevent that from happening.

What kind of material is silt-screen?

As far as underlay you don't want anything that will react to the rubber
and damage it chemically-wise. I'm not familiar with silt-screen, why I
mention that.

Carpet is fine, but carpet pad, a synthetic, is better. We used both on the
D.pond. Nice and cushy when you walk on it. ;o)

Rodent control. Depending on the type and how deep they might dig you might
want to line the edges with hardware cloth, then subliner. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a