Old 19-07-2005, 04:15 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Default Pumps & oil slicks

Is there a natural oil in the Mag-Drive pumps? I have a Supreme 500 that I
got last year and I just found a small slick (covering about 1/5th of the
pond, sort of contained by the lily pads). Everything seems to be working
fine. Water temp 82F. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 19-07-2005, 04:23 AM
Courageous

Is there a natural oil in the Mag-Drive pumps?

They are supposed to be sealed -- completely sealed! -- in epoxy.

Oil is not supposed to leak, under any circumstances, from these
pumps. At least the Pondmaster ones...

C//

Old 19-07-2005, 04:35 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Oil is not supposed to leak, under any circumstances, from these
pumps. At least the Pondmaster ones...

Well good, maybe it was just disturbing a cattail in the bricks in the same
general area, this morning. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 19-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Rodney Pont

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:15:18 -0700, ~ janj JJsPond.us wrote:

Is there a natural oil in the Mag-Drive pumps? I have a Supreme 500 that I
got last year and I just found a small slick (covering about 1/5th of the
pond, sort of contained by the lily pads). Everything seems to be working
fine. Water temp 82F. ~ jan

I've never come across a mag-drive pump that contained oil. The
impeller is usually the only moving part and that can be water
lubricated.

Our old lily pads release an oil slick when they rot if we aren't quick
enough to get them out. Could it be that?

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 19-07-2005, 08:26 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 "Rodney Pont" wrote:

Our old lily pads release an oil slick when they rot if we aren't quick
enough to get them out. Could it be that?

I'm usually pretty fast about removing them, but I did notice that there
was more oil around a particular one that had a tear and some rotting on
it, so maybe that was it. Thanks, ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 19-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Roy

Danner Supreme mag frivces are encapsulated in epopxy, and contain no
oils.........One of Danners big points in their
advertisements........"Oilfree pumps"

wrote:

===Is there a natural oil in the Mag-Drive pumps? I have a Supreme 500 that I
===got last year and I just found a small slick (covering about 1/5th of the
===pond, sort of contained by the lily pads). Everything seems to be working
===fine. Water temp 82F. ~ jan
===
=== ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

"The original frugal ponder"