Old 21-07-2005, 11:21 PM
Sam

Default Sick Goldfish - help please

Hi, I'm a long term lurker but now need a bit of help.

I have a small pond in the UK.
The small goldfish have been quite happy until about 2 months ago when all
bar one began to die.
All displayed what looked like white 'dust' on their scales and their fins
began to rot away.

I bought about 5 more a couple of weeks ago and now they're beginning to
show the same symptoms. We lost one very small fish today.
The one that was left over from last time again seems unaffected.

There are some pictures here http://urlsnip.com/123647

If someone could help diagnose and suggest a treatment I'd be grateful.

Thanks

Sam

Old 22-07-2005, 12:05 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:21:33 +0100, "Sam" wrote:

I have a small pond in the UK.
The small goldfish have been quite happy until about 2 months ago when all
bar one began to die.
All displayed what looked like white 'dust' on their scales and their fins
began to rot away.
There are some pictures here http://urlsnip.com/123647

Looks like ich to me. I would use salt (uniodized, no anti caking
ingredients) 13.3 ounces/100 gallons, that will give you 0.1%. Add that on
day 1, again on day 3, and again on day 5, for a total of 0.3% and keep it
there for 2 weeks. Use 10-20% water change outs once a week thereafter to
remove the salt gradually.

If you have plants in the pond, you'll need to remove them for the
treatment. There also products on the shelf that you can use other than
salt, with salt being the most economical and having no detrimental affects
to the filter if added gradually. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 22-07-2005, 02:35 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Sam" wrote in message
Hi, I'm a long term lurker but now need a bit of help.

I have a small pond in the UK.
The small goldfish have been quite happy until about 2 months ago when all
bar one began to die.
All displayed what looked like white 'dust' on their scales and their fins
began to rot away.

========================
It's looks like some kind of parasitic infestation. You may want to check
www.koivet.com, a site run by a Lic. vet who keeps his own fish as a hobby.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 22-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Sam

Thanks for the replies, I'll look into treating with salt.

Sam

Sick Goldfish - help please Sam Ponds 0 21-07-2005 11:22 PM
need help with sick Goldfish or Koi? [email protected] Ponds 1 12-02-2005 10:02 PM
Sick Goldfish Martha Gillier Ponds 8 01-08-2004 05:02 PM
common goldfish sick [email protected] Ponds 8 03-07-2004 03:05 PM
sick goldfish?? Steve Ponds 4 30-04-2003 12:56 PM