Old 26-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Registered User

Location: wales
Question help a no hope gardener

i recently moved a rose bush (as i have done b4) however this time i broke the established roots, will this rose survive? anything i can do to help it now( apart from leave it alone)
Old 26-07-2005, 10:26 PM
JimS.

--
mentaka1981

It's kind of hard to say....of course it depends on how much of the roots
you broke, and what the weather conditions are now.

If you left it any of the root system, it has a pretty good chance of
surviving. Just depends on how much you broke off. Water it really well
and leave it alone. If you see it starting to die back significantly from
the top, you might consider pruning back some of the upper bush to give the
roots a break, so they don't have to supply as much to keep the plant going.
I would also snip off any blooms it has now, it needs its energy for
survival now.

Unless you really butchered the roots, it's probably OK. Roses are pretty
hardy.

JimS.
Seattle

Old 27-07-2005, 03:37 PM
Gail Futoran

"JimS." wrote in message
[...]

If you have a source of seaweed, it's a good,
safe root stimulator when mixed with water.
(USA labels call for one tablespoon per gallon -
sorry, I don't know what that would translate
to in liters.) Also, rose books usually
recommend adding triple superphosphate
to the planting hole to promote strong root
systems. How you'd do that after the rose
is already planted, I'm not sure. I forgot to
do it for a couple of roses I planted recently
and I'm thinking about poking a few holes
around the bushes and pouring some triple
superphosphate in.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 29-07-2005, 08:06 AM
Rose Enthusiast

Hi there, I found a great source of interesting articles on Roses at
http://www.aaaroses.blogspot.com you might find the answer there.
Hope this helps.