Old 12-03-2003, 05:45 AM
Shepherd

Default Roses to hide a fence

I have a wooden fence about 120 feet in length that gets full sun for most
of the day.
It is not a very attractive piece of work and I would like to hide it with
shrubby, preferably roses.
I would also like to grow the roses in pots placed in front of the fence.

Can anyone recommend a good rose for this project and the distance to place
the pots along the fence?

Thanks,

Shepherd

Old 12-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Daniel Hanna

In Shepherd
wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good rose for this project and the distance to
place the pots along the fence?

Your problem here is really the pots. Climbing roses that would cover a
fence would also outgrow a pot quickly.

One participant here (forget who he/she is) has a great picture of how
Madame Alfred Carriere can cover a fence or wall. It grows into a
thicket from the base, though.

Others you might consider are Albertine or maybe Altissimo. Again, both
of these are strong growers and they would not put up with pots for long.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Cass

Shepherd wrote:

I have a wooden fence about 120 feet in length that gets full sun for most
of the day.
It is not a very attractive piece of work and I would like to hide it with
shrubby, preferably roses.
I would also like to grow the roses in pots placed in front of the fence.

Can anyone recommend a good rose for this project and the distance to place
the pots along the fence?

Remind us of your USDA zone? Are you going to intersperse evergreen
(no, not coniferous evergreen, just perpetually green) shrubs with the
roses to provide screening when the roses are dormant?