Old 19-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Registered User

Default Pruning Climbing Roses

Hi

I live in the UK in a suburb of Birmingham.

I have three roses in my garden, all climbers. I'm told that November is just the right time to prune them. But what do I about the frosty spell we're having at the moment? Should I just wait for the morning frost to go and prune them in the afternoon, knowing that it will be frosty again tomorrow morning? Or have I missed the boat on November pruning?

Thanks
Jackie
Old 10-12-2005, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Don't prune when there is frost or can get frosty.
November/december prune the long twigs roughly.
Februari prune before forsynthia begins to bloom.
When the rose is against a nice warm wall you can prune earlier.

Bye
aswhad

Old 10-12-2005, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
oups.com...
Don't prune when there is frost or can get frosty.
November/december prune the long twigs roughly.
Februari prune before forsynthia begins to bloom.
When the rose is against a nice warm wall you can prune earlier.

Bye
aswhad

If the climbers are spring-only bloomers, you
should prune only after they have bloomed - in
the spring. Pruning earlier means losing the
blooms for another year.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA Zone 8

Pruning a neglected climbing rose. Janet Conroy United Kingdom 1 09-11-2008 11:36 AM
Pruning climbing roses MikeCT[_2_] United Kingdom 0 22-07-2008 02:18 PM
Climbing hydrangea pruning Tiger303 United Kingdom 4 27-02-2006 10:04 AM
Pruning climbing roses HH Gardening 3 11-02-2006 07:08 PM
Pruning Climbing Roses Blom2229 Roses 1 20-06-2003 04:22 PM