Old 02-01-2006, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default ideas for a rose near grapes

I've decided to take out a blueberry bush that never did anything and
replace it with a rose. The spot is between a concord grape and a
french pussywillow. Does anyone have any advice on a rose that will
either be ok there or to avoid? I'm thinking maybe a Peace, but I'll
probably go for one of the Buck roses.

Beth

Old 03-01-2006, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've decided to take out a blueberry bush that never did anything and
replace it with a rose. The spot is between a concord grape and a
french pussywillow. Does anyone have any advice on a rose that will
either be ok there or to avoid? I'm thinking maybe a Peace, but I'll
probably go for one of the Buck roses.

Beth

My main concern would be competition from
roots. When you say "between", how close
will the rose be to the other plants?

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 03-01-2006, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

My main concern would be competition from
roots. When you say "between", how close
will the rose be to the other plants?

Gail

Gail,
The rose would be between 3 and 4 feet from either other plant.
Beth

Old 03-01-2006, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

" wrote in message
oups.com...

Gail,
The rose would be between 3 and 4 feet from either other plant.
Beth

Now the next question -
I don't know anything about the other two
plants you mentioned, how big they get,
how thirsty their roots are. Given that
uncertainty, I would think 3-4' per side is good
spacing. I usually leave 18" - 2' between
modern shrub roses like Hybrid Teas and
Floribundas, about double that for larger
roses, including some of my larger old
garden roses. In the only place I have a bunch
of climbers together, the spacing is more like
5' between each rose. But those climbers
get really big.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 04-01-2006, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Now the next question -
I don't know anything about the other two
plants you mentioned, how big they get,
how thirsty their roots are.

Gail,
I know nothing about the French pussywillow. It is about 7 feet tall
and I've whacked it back, hard, without killing it. (my kind of plant.)
It was here when I bought the house. The grape spreads along the fence
every year and I prune it in the fall. It seems to be extremely hardy.
It might be too invasive to be near a rose. I guess I'll find out!

Beth

Old 04-01-2006, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Tim Tompkins

All vines, and grapes are among that group are very heavy water users. In
order to supply the water they must have a large root system.

Plant roses as far as possible from the grape vine(s) and make certain that
adaquate water is available to the rose.

I also recommend contacting your local rose society, information is
available at www.ars.org. They can recommend roses that perform well in
your area.

Tim

Tim