Old 07-02-2006, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Moving with roses

I am going to be moving from SW Florida to NE Ohio is three weeks and
would like to take some of my roses with me. Any ideas how to go about
this? Can they be bare root, boxed and in the moving van for a few
days? When do I plant them when I get to Ohio. Hope you all can give
me some help with this problem.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Koi-Lo

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am going to be moving from SW Florida to NE Ohio is three weeks and
would like to take some of my roses with me. Any ideas how to go about
this? Can they be bare root, boxed and in the moving van for a few
days? When do I plant them when I get to Ohio. Hope you all can give
me some help with this problem.

Are they still dormant? Given your area, i doubt they are. Prune it back, so
you have just the main canes. bare root them, but keep the main root ball
moist with a few wadded up newspapers.

I hope you have a landing zone prepared for them at the new site. Given that
it's still snowing in Cincinnati, i'm not sure if your roses are going to
like the sudden change. You'll need to protect them from the weather
extremes. Look up online how to protect roses for winter with a fall leaf
mulch cage.

Good luck

Old 08-02-2006, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am going to be moving from SW Florida to NE Ohio is three weeks and
would like to take some of my roses with me. Any ideas how to go about
this? Can they be bare root, boxed and in the moving van for a few
days? When do I plant them when I get to Ohio. Hope you all can give
me some help with this problem.

On the occasion when we have real winter
down here, I've put my potted roses into the
garage for several days with no ill effects.
Assuming you're not thinking of moving
very large roses, like climbers, I would
tentatively suggest you pot up the roses you
want to move, keeping as much of a root ball
as you can, and replant as soon as you get into
a new home.

My question would be how do you take an
actively growing rose (which I assume yours
are) and convert them to bareroot without
killing them? I've planted bareroot roses
that came from a retailer, but the roses were
dormant when they arrived.

You might try googling for advice:
www.groups.google.com
Try the advanced groups search. It gives
you access to literally thousands of posts
across the years.

Good luck.
Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8