Old 16-04-2003, 12:44 PM
dave gore 2002

Default Moving standard roses

Dave g asked

we have just moved house and took from the garden 3 standard roses to our
new garden, we took real care transporting them and very carefully dug them
up and planted them in their new holes with compost and made sure they were
well watered in but all 3 are looking decidedly jaded and droopy, although I
know it's bit late to ask now but did we do things correctly?, the soil in
the new house is far better than the old one but the roses flourished in the
old house and we are afraid we might have lost them which would be more than
a real shame as all 3 have sentimental value

we have been watering them well every night but any advice anyone can give
us would be very much appreciated

Dave

Old 16-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Paul Kelly

"dave gore 2002" wrote in message
Dave g asked

we have just moved house and took from the garden 3 standard roses to our
new garden, we took real care transporting them and very carefully dug

them
up and planted them in their new holes with compost and made sure they

were
well watered in but all 3 are looking decidedly jaded and droopy, although

know it's bit late to ask now but did we do things correctly?, the soil in
the new house is far better than the old one but the roses flourished in

the
old house and we are afraid we might have lost them which would be more

than
a real shame as all 3 have sentimental value

we have been watering them well every night but any advice anyone can give
us would be very much appreciated

Yu don't say if you bare root transplanted or moved with rootball, but in
practice it makes little difference as the roots that take in water are not
the lumpy wooden things but the white fibrous and very fragile jobbies.
Undoubtedly if you moved recently you have broken most of these in the
process and the plant is now starved of water.

But I wouldn't worry too much most likely they will recover after sulking
for a while while putting out new roots. I'd be inclined to prune off the
drooping new shoots to minimise stress on the system.

pk

standard roses derick Roses 5 01-02-2024 09:03 PM
LINDA WEST of CHIPMAN UNITED VAN LINES likes to commit Fraud & Forgery and she likes to put peoples names on moving contracts without there Knowledge. Caton Mayflower Moving & Storage Movers & Relocation Dublin,ca & concord,ca 925) 876-7441, 925-887- vinkovci United Kingdom 1 11-10-2005 10:48 PM
Recommended plants for underplanting standard roses jpd1009 Australia 2 17-06-2005 01:00 PM
MOVING-help w/ moving fish and temporary pond Judi9000 Ponds 9 25-05-2004 03:02 AM
Moving roses when the ground is frozen ?? Trevor Ylisaari Roses 0 15-03-2003 01:08 AM