Old 27-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Allegra

Default Att: Guido

"hels" wrote in message ...
Allegra

First I echoed this message to another froup and was amazed there was no
reaction whatsoever

Hello Guido,

good to see you! I am not surprised at all, sadden yes, but not surprised.

Many considered Mr. Thomas too "last century" to understand the
importance and greatness of his contributions. Those of us who had
the privilege of knowing him and were gifted with his knowledge
will have a debt of gratitude to outlast his time on this earth.

I met him in Scotland many a moon ago, and over the years he was
unfailingly graceful when I wrote to ask him about something - those
days before the net when finding out about things took time and stamps
over envelopes- and I will always remember him with respect for his
knowledge and gratitude for his grace and his patience.

He was a great man and a great rosarian among his other virtues. It is
really sad that only a yellow rose will bring a sign of acknowledgment
from many, at the mention of his name. It was sweet of you to copy
this somewhere else, but not all who grow roses know that:

"He who would have beautiful Roses in his garden must have
beautiful Roses in his heart. He must love them well and always.
To win, he must woo, as Jacob wooed Laban's daughter, though
drought and frost consume. He must have not only the glowing
admiration, the enthusiasm, and the passion, but the tenderness,
the thoughtfulness, the reverence, the watchfulness of love."

-S. Reynolds Hole, A Book about Roses, 1901

There will always be those who will have beautiful roses in their
gardens and none in their hearts.

How are your roses doing? In here pretty soon they will need
life preservers. Or they will all wash down to California ;)

Allegra