Old 14-02-2011, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Roses in South Eastern North Carolina Help

I need some opinions if anyone has time.
I spent over $200 at Witherspoons 4 years ago. They did well for the
first year, ok for the second year and I pretty much replaced them the
third year. I replaced them with knock off roses from Walmart and
Lowes. ( I live where there are no other stores down east of
Raleigh). Also to be fair the third year I developed quite the deer
problem that I got a handle on the end of last season with "deer away"
stuff. What I have now are some pretty scragaly looking plants. They
have held on through the cold and windy winter, so far, and I didn't
prune them much in the fall because I was afraid they needed all the
help they could get.
So here are the real questions:
When do I cut them back this spring and try to bring them back to life
and
What does everything think of knock offs? Is that my root (no pun
intended) problem or just the last few years of circumstances?

Hang in there folks, Spring IS coming
Thanks in advance,
MJ

Reply Reply to author Forward
Old 17-02-2011, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

OK, I'm in western NC - you can prune/thin now, tho last month would
have been better. Prune to above a leaf bud on the stems you wish to
retain.

Knock off roses or Knock Out roses? Knock Outs are a recent variety
and are pretty hardy (I have a nice pink one). They should survive
most anything except a nasty windstorm (that's how I lost one - it was
way too top heavy because I forgot to prune it).

In general, the issue I have is black spot. I have to use Bayer's
Rose & Flower care to control it for any roses except the Knock Outs,
as they are bred to be very resistant to it.

If you don't know what black spot is - it's a fungus that first shows
as black spots on the leaves. The leaves die and fall off, but the
fungus is now in the canes. Using something like the Bayer product
will help control it, but unchecked, it will keep killing off the
leaves and after a couple of years, the rose usually dies. You may
get regrowth from the roots, but this is not likely to be the same
rose you bought - most roses are grafted, not own-root.

hope this helped.

Old 19-02-2011, 12:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

wrote:
[...]

Thank you, it did and it makes me want to get rid of this Bayes stuff
right now.