Old 03-07-2003, 09:08 AM
Ether St. Vying

Default Roses in the southern great white north

Hello regulars. I'm delighted to have found this rosy newsgroup. I've
read some of the more recent threads, and have enjoyed them, and learned
things in the bargain.

I garden in an environmentally friendly way in southern Ontario, in
Canada's banana belt. We had a long, cold, deep snowy winter followed by
a cool wet spring, and no real heat to speak of till a few weeks ago.
We've pretty much been riding a heatwave ever since, with temps in the
80's and 90's ... not the preferred temperature of my roses in their
full sun south facing beds.

I have 7 roses at the moment.

The most recent addition is Evelyn. I got her early this spring. So far,
she's blowing me away. She's a beauty, and her fragrance is fantastic.
Though I'm not sure it's more fabulous than that of the Fair Bianca
right beside her. Which brings me to the third of the English trio,
Graham Thomas ...

I know that Graham's got his fans, and mine is nice to look at for the
most part. It's very vigorous and blooms well, with a lovely saturated,
but natural, yellow ... but the flowers smell more like celery than a
rose. What's up with Graham? Anyone else have one like this? A friend
has one and says that her's smells good. Mine is very disappointing. But
I can't bring myself to kill it. I guess I've grown accustomed to his
face.

I have two roses that I brought me with me when we moved 7 years ago
when they were about 5 years old:

An HC Andersen Floribunda that's getting pretty tired, but still
produces a few beautiful blooms and a Penthouse, which I think may be a
Grandiflora. A nice pink, big bloom and decent tea perfume. Both of
these senior citizens are prone to black spot and powdery mildew.

I inherited an ancient climbing rose with the house, that's likely been
there since the 70's. No idea what it is. The flowers are deep
fuchsia/magenta. It has some fragrance and is lovely in bunches in a
vase.

I also have a rose I hate. I was desperate for an orange rose and got
one called ... hmmm ... Autumn Sunset IIRC. at the local garden centre.
I call it the Halloween rose. It looks artificial on the cane. The
orange is surrealistically garish, and the petals have a texture that
looks as if the pigment were applied in a spray powder. Gross. It's a
rose for cutting, with long thornless stems, is surprisingly resistant
to powdery mildew ... and those garish blooms look fabulous in a vase
against a deep green wall. I can't bring myself to kill even this
hideous specimen.

For the second summer in a row, I'm keeping an online garden journal
with my digital camera. I photograph whatever is peaking whenever I can
and then upload a sampling to a monthly page. There's a shot of Evelyn
and one of Graham in the most recent page.

http://home.ca.inter.net/~stevedor/EGarden2.html

Hope to talk roses with you all.

Best,
Ether

Old 03-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Linda

What a gorgeous picture collection...thank you so much for sharing. I even
sent the address to my mother in Montana so she could enjoy your garden.
What type of camera are you using. It produces fantastic, clear pictures.
I have posted some of my roses, but the quality of the picture is nothing
compared to yours... Linda S. in So. Calif.

Old 03-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Anne Lurie

Great photos, Ether!

BTW, in May 2003 is a photo of a purple azalea or rhodendron. Is that by
any chance a *large* azalea with a bloom so "purple" that it almost hurts to
look at it? Do you know what variety it is? (I have 2 very large azaleas
planted to close to each other & the house, but I'd love to see what one of
those babies could do with proper spacing.)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 05-07-2003, 10:32 AM
Ether St. Vying

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the kind words! I'm flattered that you sent the link to your mom.
:-)

The camera I use for digital photography is a Sony TRV 730. It's actually a
digital-8 handycam with a stills function. It's not a great camera for the
most part. It produces the best quality stills in macro mode, set to the
highest possible resolution. I process the shots downstream in Photoshop
because, aside from the resolution, what comes straight out of the camera
(levels, curves, colour balance, brightness and contrast) is generally not
that great.

I've noticed that most digital cameras have problems reproducing reds ... and
I hate the
colour bleed on edges ... but hey, it's instaneous. There's something to be
said for that.

Ether

Old 05-07-2003, 10:32 AM
Ether St. Vying

Anne Lurie wrote:

Great photos, Ether!

Thanks, Anne!

I got a chuckle out of your Graham Thomas adventures in the other thread. I'm
ridiculously optimistic about my English roses standing on their own ever
season ... and it never happens. I've tried various things, and for me, a nice
cage improvised out of bamboo poles has been the most effective. I use the same
kind of structure for my tomatoes.

BTW, in May 2003 is a photo of a purple azalea or rhodendron. Is that by any
chance a *large* azalea with a bloom so "purple" that it almost hurts tolook
at it? Do you know what variety it is?

It's a rhodo. I can't remember the name, but it was bred to withstand Canadian
winters. I think I probably stuck the tag in behind it. I'll check for the
name.

(I have 2 very large azaleas planted to close to each other & the house, but
I'd love to see what one of those babies could do with proper spacing.)

I betcha they'd be happy. :-)

Ether

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 06-07-2003, 12:56 AM
Daniel Hanna

In Ether St. Vying wrote:
I've noticed that most digital cameras have problems reproducing reds ...
and I hate the colour bleed on edges ... but hey, it's instaneous.
There's something to be said for that.

Ditto for me. I use a Pentax Optio 330. I wonder sometimes if it's
trying to do red-eye reduction on my red roses - I will have to turn
that off next time I shoot :-)