Old 13-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Anne Lurie

Default O/T - Systemics on food crops

Generally speaking, this post is off-topic, since I have questions about
using systemic "-cides," specifically Orthonex, on vegetables & fruits.

Practically speaking, I don't believe that I could possibly be the only one
on this newsgroup who would like to buy as few potent chemicals as possible;
i.e., if I can use Orthonex for something other than roses, I'd like to know
that. (I will say that using a hose-end sprayer to apply Orthonex to a
Weeping Japanese Cherry next to some rose bushes seemed to help the tree --
or the JB just moved to a host I haven't yet discovered, sigh....)

I was under the impression that systemic pesticides (never dealt with
fungicides before I got "rose fever") were *never* to be used on fruit or
vegetables?

However, this website talks about Funginex
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles...iforine/fung-p
rof-triforine.html and this one about Orthene
http://www.arvesta.com/default.asp?V_DOC_ID=687 (granted, I don't know who
Arvesta is, but the Funginex info is from Cornell University); both refer to
selected food crops.

I'd like to hear opinions on this. BTW, I realize that not using poisons at
all might be the best thing, but I also feel that disposing of pesticides by
using them as intended is preferable to "dumping" them willy-nilly.

Thanks,

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 14-07-2003, 12:14 AM
Scopata Fuori

I was under the impression that systemic pesticides (never dealt with
fungicides before I got "rose fever") were *never* to be used on fruit or
vegetables?

I'd go by what the label says. Our local rose society's bulletin this month
mentioned using Banner Maxx on peach trees...but I want to research that one
first.

Scopata Fuori

"Bad Cat!"

Old 15-07-2003, 06:02 AM
Snooze

Most pesticides accumulate in the plant tissues, would you really want to
eat veggies that are laced with pesticides that are DESIGNED to accumulate
in the plant tissues?

I'm sure it's safe, just like everything else that's safe until someone
discovers it causes cancer..

Sameer

. com...

Old 16-07-2003, 06:22 PM
kljcvlzkj

Using Orthonex on something you're going to eat is a really bad idea - it's
designed to kill.

. com...

Old 16-07-2003, 06:30 PM
kljcvlzkj

Using Orthonex on something you're going to eat is a really bad idea - it's
designed to kill.

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Bee "vaccine" helps food crops? Hypatia Nachshon Gardening 3 29-08-2015 01:36 AM
low maintenance food crops Gill Smith United Kingdom 0 20-07-2010 11:58 PM
Bayer systemics symplastless Gardening 2 20-05-2008 03:01 AM
Koi Food Survey - Catfish food for $10.99 per 50 lb bag. ~ Windsong ~ Ponds 2 13-06-2003 02:32 PM
Sign petition to USDA to protect crops from being fertilized by pollen from GMO pharm. crops CaringIsTheFirstStep Edible Gardening 4 07-05-2003 05:08 AM