Old 18-08-2003, 06:12 PM
dave weil

Default R. Banksiae Normalis

Has this been discussed as to its pros and cons (especially for zone
6B (maybe zone 7)?

This looks like a monster. I assume that it's pretty much
sulf-supporting, right? Would it eventually make a 20 foot wide hedge?
I have a spot in the yard that I wouldn't mind closing off with such a
beast. I've found a few pics which makes me believe that it would end
up being a very large mass.

Any takers?
Old 18-08-2003, 06:12 PM
dave weil

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 12:07:22 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

Has this been discussed as to its pros and cons (especially for zone
6B (maybe zone 7)?

This looks like a monster. I assume that it's pretty much
sulf-supporting, right? Would it eventually make a 20 foot wide hedge?
I have a spot in the yard that I wouldn't mind closing off with such a
beast. I've found a few pics which makes me believe that it would end
up being a very large mass.

Any takers?

Oh yeah, I forgot that this is the "world's largest rose", the
Tombstone rose. That gives me pause g.

anyway, I saw another link that says that it needs to be supported by
a pergola or arbor. Would this still be the case if, say, I wanted a
hedge no more that 10 ft. tall and 20 ft wide, assuming that I'd be
willing to virgorously trimmed to size...
Old 18-08-2003, 06:32 PM
dave weil

wrote:

Has this been discussed as to its pros and cons (especially for zone
6B (maybe zone 7)?

This looks like a monster. I assume that it's pretty much
sulf-supporting, right? Would it eventually make a 20 foot wide hedge?
I have a spot in the yard that I wouldn't mind closing off with such a
beast. I've found a few pics which makes me believe that it would end
up being a very large mass.

Any takers?

Oh yeah, I forgot that this is the "world's largest rose", the
Tombstone rose. That gives me pause g.

anyway, I saw another link that says that it needs to be supported by
a pergola or arbor. Would this still be the case if, say, I wanted a
hedge no more that 10 ft. tall and 20 ft wide, assuming that I'd be
willing to virgorously trimmed to size...

Damn English language

chuckle

That would be vigorously trim to size.

After all, I don't want to be trimmed myself...
Old 20-08-2003, 03:42 PM
J. Del Col

dave weil wrote in message . ..
Has this been discussed as to its pros and cons (especially for zone
6B (maybe zone 7)?

This looks like a monster. I assume that it's pretty much
sulf-supporting, right? Would it eventually make a 20 foot wide hedge?
I have a spot in the yard that I wouldn't mind closing off with such a
beast. I've found a few pics which makes me believe that it would end
up being a very large mass.

Any takers?

I am in USDA Zone 6. I have tried to raise R. banksia normalis three
times. The winters are just too cold for it.

J. Del Col