Old 27-02-2004, 11:12 PM
Hamp

Default Comte de Chambord

This warm weather in Mississippi is really giving me spring fever. I
saw a rose "Comte de Chambord" at a local nursery but am not familiar
with it. According to the info I've gathered from the internet so far
is that its a Portland Damask, fragrant and repeats. Has any one had
any experience with it and if so please give me the details (good and
bad) and does it infact repeat.
Hamp
Old 28-02-2004, 05:42 AM
Radika

Hamp wrote:
This warm weather in Mississippi is really giving me spring fever. I
saw a rose "Comte de Chambord" at a local nursery but am not familiar
with it. According to the info I've gathered from the internet so far
is that its a Portland Damask, fragrant and repeats. Has any one had
any experience with it and if so please give me the details (good and
bad) and does it infact repeat.

Hamp,

I grow this gorgeous rose, and find it totally lovable and very easy to
grow in my climate, where it is disease resistant. I had grown the David
Austin rose Gertrude Jekyll, which is a descendant of CdC for many
years, before I decided I needed the parent of my beloved Gertrude J.,
and got this gorgeous rose. CdC repeats beautifully for me and is also
very disease resistant, not that the latter is too tough in my climate
for many roses. Anyhow, this essay by Paul Barden is totally accurate
about this rose, and he mentions that the rose is very disease resistant
even in his much more humid climate (Zone 8 in the humid part of Pacific
Northwest):
http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/damasks/chambord.html

--
Radika
California

Old 01-03-2004, 01:02 AM
MMMavocado

In the Southeast, it will black spot rather badly, but if you spray it, it will
be ok. It does repeat quite nicely.