Old 29-04-2004, 02:05 AM
John

Default fertilizer

Can fertilizer go bad? I have an old box in my garage, must be 7-8 years
old?
Probably not worth the risk hurting my plants but just wondering

--
"Cheap work isn't good and good work isn't cheap"
-

Old 29-04-2004, 05:03 AM
ben boorman

depending on the type, and if it is organic or chemical...... throw it
out in any case - safely!

Old 29-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Snooze

"John" wrote in message
Can fertilizer go bad? I have an old box in my garage, must be 7-8 years
old?
Probably not worth the risk hurting my plants but just wondering

There's nothing in fertilizer to really spoil. If it was organic fertilizer,
and it rotted, it would be a good thing. That would mean the bacteria broke
down the material into a form that the plant could easily use. How many
centuries has the bat guano been building up in the caves?

If it was an inorganic fertilizer, nothing there to rot, how many millions
of years do you think green sand has been buried in the ground? How many
millions of years old is the natural gas they used to make nitrogen
compounds?

Some moisture might have gotten into the fertilizer, and made it clump up.
Not a problem, just break it back into usable sizes with your hands.

Sameer