Old 15-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Harvey Schmidlapp

Default Rose Time!

I've been waiting patiently for the last few weeks as those to my south
began crowing about their blooms. I had to be content with the last of
my camellias and the early perinnials. Two of my seedling camellias
bloomed for the first time which is exciting. They are from 'Lady
Claire' and one looks a lot like her although the folliage isn't as
nice. The other is a nice, semi-double pure white bloom with bright
yellow anthers. Not perfect but worth keeping, anyway.

But...

It is officially "Rose Time" in Maryland (at least my little piece of
it). The R. rugosa seedlings have been in bloom since the first of the
month (and will keep it up pretty much all summer) and Blanc Double de
Coubert (a wonderful white rugosa) started last weekend. A few days
ago, the Zepherine Drouhin started opening up the hundred or more of her
buds as she climbs up over the entry to the yard. Yesterday, more of
those plus a few of the many Sombreuil buds on the other side of the
walkway have opened. There is one flower open on the R. eglanteria and
a few on R. glauca and R. pomifera. There are lots and lots of buds
(and a few opening) on Linda Campbell, Mary Rose, Graham Thomas, Pat
Austin, Auguste Renoir, Madam Isaac Perriere, and Johann Strauss. Snow
Carpet (a small wichuraiana) is a late bloomer so I'm not surprise that
it's not ready yet. R. foetida 'Austrian Copper' has a tough time here
with blackspot and has to start from scratch many years. I wonder most
years if this will be its last. Likewise Barbara Bush has a bad time
with the old blackspot but it's usually good for a few good flowers.
Bibi Maizoon has buds but it tends to start a bit later than the others.
Definately worth the wait, however. So, I'm not at peak yet, but
there are flowers!

Pictures are up and ready for viewing. More to come in the days ahead.
http://www.dotrose.com/whatsinbloom/

--
Henry