Old 18-07-2004, 11:03 PM
K. B.

Default Canes blacken and die

Planted 2 Hybrid Teas and a climber this spring. The HT grew into canes,
flowered once and then wilted to death. The leaves wilted first, slowly, as
though they were not getting water. The canes then turned black. I read
the Post by Josephine about the wilting buds and the Rose Midge. According
to sources on the internet, the Midge causes leaf damage, not damage to the
canes.

What would cause the un-damaged canes to blacken back to the bud union and
die? Rose canker might be likely but I have no experience with it:
http://www.sactorose.org/ipm/83canker.htm

the climber had the same thing on several canes but has survived. BTW I
have Black Walnut trees on my lot and they are known to be harmful to many
ornamentals, but Rose is not one of the species mentioned.

Any comments?

KB
Missouri, USA

p.s.. This is my first post here!

Old 19-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Gail Futoran

"K. B." wrote in message
Planted 2 Hybrid Teas and a climber this spring. The HT

grew into canes,
flowered once and then wilted to death. The leaves wilted

first, slowly, as
though they were not getting water. The canes then turned

black. I read
the Post by Josephine about the wilting buds and the Rose

Midge. According
to sources on the internet, the Midge causes leaf damage,

not damage to the
canes.

What would cause the un-damaged canes to blacken back to

the bud union and
die? Rose canker might be likely but I have no experience

with it:
http://www.sactorose.org/ipm/83canker.htm

Without knowing more about your situation,
it's hard to diagnose. Sometimes roses just
die. They don't adjust to being planted
because they're weak to begin with. Or there's
something in the soil that's not working for them.
I've replaced a bunch of roses over the 6 years
I've been actively growing them. Some thrive
even if I ignore them, others die quickly no
matter how much I coddle them.

the climber had the same thing on several canes but has

survived. BTW I
have Black Walnut trees on my lot and they are known to be

harmful to many
ornamentals, but Rose is not one of the species mentioned.

Any comments?

I did a google search on black walnut and roses
and found a discussion on GardenWeb:
http://www.gardenweb.com/
Someone mentioned Black Walnut makes the
soil more alkaline (I have no idea if that's true or
not) and of course roses prefer an acidic soil, so
maybe you should do a soil test before planting
more roses in that area.

KB
Missouri, USA

p.s.. This is my first post here!

Welcome! Growing roses is a frustrating and
rewarding experience, IMO. I've gotten a lot
of help from the people here. But during the
summer many people are so involved with
their gardens they don't get online much. So
be patient. If you don't get an answer right
away, try again.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 19-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Sunflower

"K. B." wrote in message
[...]

Which roses did you buy, and where did you buy them from, and in what
condition were they when you bought them? What was your soil preparation
and how is it's drainange and pH? What have you sprayed them with and how
often have you watered with how much? What has your fertilization program
been? Did you check for vole damage to the roots?

A lot more information is needed to even have a preliminary diagnosis.

Old 20-07-2004, 02:06 PM
K. B.

"Sunflower" wrote in message

"K. B." wrote in message
[...]

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

KB

Old 22-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Gail Futoran

"K. B." wrote in message
[...]

SOFT SUPPORT FOR CANES AND FLOWER SPIKES bob Orchids 6 07-06-2005 05:55 AM
SOFT SUPPORT FOR CANES AND FLOWER SPIKES bob Orchids 0 05-06-2005 08:56 PM
SOFT SUPPORT FOR CANES AND FLOWER SPIKES bob Orchids 0 05-06-2005 08:56 PM
Canes blacken and die K. B. Roses 0 22-07-2004 07:14 PM
Dying Canes and Fungicide Unique Too Roses 17 02-07-2003 10:56 PM