Old 01-09-2004, 05:11 PM
Natty_Dread

Default Identifying a rose

Hello all - I recently purchased several rose bushes from a local garden
center. One of the bushes was labeled "Polar Ice" and was supposed to have
white blooms. However, when the buds began blooming, they were actually
pink. The blooms and leaves look very much like those of my "Queen
Elizabeth" rose, except the blooms on the (obviously mislabled) Polar Ice
bush are a deeper shade of pink than the Queen. Is it possible that this
rose is a Queen Elizabeth also? Does Queen Elizabeth come in varied shades
of pink? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Rhonda
Alexandria, VA
USDA Zone 7

Remove the spam filter to e-mail me.

*********
Each of us, a cell of awareness
imperfect and incomplete
Genetic blends with uncertain ends
on a fortune-hunt that's far too fleet

Old 01-09-2004, 07:13 PM
paghat

In article , "Natty_Dread"
wrote:

Hello all - I recently purchased several rose bushes from a local garden
center. One of the bushes was labeled "Polar Ice" and was supposed to have
white blooms. However, when the buds began blooming, they were actually
pink. The blooms and leaves look very much like those of my "Queen
Elizabeth" rose, except the blooms on the (obviously mislabled) Polar Ice
bush are a deeper shade of pink than the Queen. Is it possible that this
rose is a Queen Elizabeth also? Does Queen Elizabeth come in varied shades
of pink? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Rhonda
Alexandria, VA
USDA Zone 7

With a bazillion cultivars in existance, you'll never figure it out
randomly. What you need is a list of likely candidates from the nursery
where you purchased the mislabeled plant, as it would have to be SOMEthing
their wholesale grower was growing. So complain to the retailer about the
mislabeling & demand a list of cultivars sold in that year, or their
wholesale source so you can track down what they produced for market that
year.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Help identifying this rose Helenw Roses 4 18-06-2008 03:15 PM
Visually identifying a rose species? DigitalVinyl Gardening 2 14-06-2005 02:38 AM
Identifying a rose Jane Lumley Roses 1 13-06-2005 02:17 PM
Identifying a rose Natty_Dread Gardening 2 01-09-2004 10:19 PM
Ventura County Rose Society Rose Auction James Delahanty Roses 1 25-01-2003 04:37 AM