Old 12-09-2004, 09:08 AM
Martin

Default New to Rose Growing

If you are new to this newsgroup and wondering why it is so quite, and
wondering how you are going to get the advice you need then take a look at
the Bexrose Web Site at:- http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

That's where most people go as their first stop, and where most of the
newsgroup can now be found browsing.

Regards

Martin Double
Bexrose - Webmaster

Email:
Web Site:
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

Old 12-09-2004, 04:47 PM
dave weil

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 08:08:28 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"
wrote:

If you are new to this newsgroup and wondering why it is so quite, and
wondering how you are going to get the advice you need then take a look at
the Bexrose Web Site at:- http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

That's where most people go as their first stop, and where most of the
newsgroup can now be found browsing.

Regards

Martin Double
Bexrose - Webmaster

Completely untrue. Mr. Double is a johnny-come-lately who is desperate
(for whatever reason) to build his fledgling website. It's a barely
adequate compilation of meager resources.

This is probably the first stop for most newsgroupers:

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/index.php

After that, the most helpful commercial site is:

http://www.vintagegardens.com/

The thing that makes this a valuable resourse is two-fold. First of
all, the pruning area is the best that I've seen (having said that,
the pruning page on Mr. Double's website is quite good itself):

http://www.vintagegardens.com/prunin...d=1d3c7g2c4g6f

But even better is the ability to access the actual growing shope of
thousands of roses in a very useable form (as well as history, etc.).
Here's an example:

http://www.vintagegardens.com/cgi-bi...1d3c7g2c4g6 f

Another good source for accessing photos of roses for ID purposes,
here's a good choice (it links to commercial and non-commercial
sites):

http://www.rosefile.com/RosePages/GetPhotoFind.html

In terms of specialty information that's available on Mr. Double's
site, generally, there are far better resources. One example is the
"Photographing Roses" area. Our own Bob Bauer's (paging Bob!
Beetlejuice!Beetlejuice!Beetlejuice!) page is far better:

http://www.bauerphoto.com/phototips/phototips.html

He's also got a great index of rose links, some of which I mention
specifically below:

http://www.bauerphoto.com/garden/garden.html

If you want information on pests, culture, disease, etc., best to give
Mr. Double's website a pass. There's barely anything there.
You'll find far more on the Nashville Rose Society's website:

http://www.nashvillerosesociety.com/

Nahhh, I'm sure that Mr. Double will continue to improve his very
young website. The best way he could improve it though is to stop the
hype and BS and spend that energy into creating actual useable content
on his rather slim site.

For the "newbies", here's a compendium of some useful sites:

Here's a pretty good general site:

http://www.everyrose.com/everyrose/index.lasso

http://www.scvrs.homestead.com/index.html This one is notable for this
index of pages:

http://www.scvrs.homestead.com/RoseCareInfo.html And especially for
this article:

http://www.scvrs.homestead.com/HybridizeKB1.html

Then there's Paul Barden's great site:

http://www.rdrop.com/%7Epaul/main.html

The Michigan State University has some great info on rose diseases and
pests, but right now they're reorganizing their info base. Here's
where you can go to do some research (but it's more difficult than
previously to find what you're looking for - hopefully, they'll get
reorganized soon

http://www.msue.msu.edu/imp/modzz/modzzr.html

For lots of nice photos of various roses:

http://www.rosarosam.com/home.htm

For specific info on antique roses, go to the pioneer in the field:

http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/item.tmpl$search?db=roses.db&eqskudatarq=2013

I note that none of these sites feels the need to spam this newsgroup.

BTW, it's quite, alright. Quite quiet.

Old 12-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Martin

[...]

Thank you once again Mr Weil for the plug, every little helps. Perhaps a
little bias in the wrong direction though. I must say that I am happy with
our Stats compared to those of some of the other sites that you have cited.

Otherwise your response is almost constructive, you are obviously learning,
if a little slowly.

Thanks once again.

Martin Double
Bexrose - Webmaster
Email:
Web Site:
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

Old 12-09-2004, 07:31 PM
dave weil

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 17:35:44 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"
wrote:

Otherwise your response is almost constructive, you are obviously learning,
if a little slowly.

Thanks once again.

Martin Double

You're welcome, newbie. Glad to be of service.

Hopefully you'll drop the spamming and trolling soon and let your
modest little website rise to the level of some of the other links
posted.

Old 13-09-2004, 11:21 PM
Anne Lurie

"Martin" wrote in message

If you are new to this newsgroup and wondering why it is so quite [sic],

If a person were new to this newsgroup, how would he know whether it's quiet
or not?

wondering how you are going to get the advice you need then

[shameless promotion of his website snipped]

That's where most people go as their first stop, and where most of the
newsgroup can now be found browsing.

WRONG!!!!

People who want info might want to check out the FAQ for this newsgroup:
http://www.mc.edu/campus/users/nettl...rofaq-faq.html

Anne