Old 22-10-2004, 12:07 PM
db

Default Perfect climate for growing and living...Ideas?

I'm thinking of relocating and have always dreamed of living somewhere
where I can grow roses without tons of black spot, mildew, etc. I
currently live in the Pacific NW, and while it's beautiful here, I'd
love to live in a moderate to warm climate where I can have outdoor
rooms to entertain in, and grow old fashioned flowers, vegetables,
etc. However, I'm not a big fan of extremely hot weather, so I'm
stymied. To make it even more difficult, I have always lived near
fresh or salt water and can't imagine not being near a major waterway
or ocean. So, with all that difficult criteria, any ideas where I
should be researching? Thanks for any of your thoughts! db
Old 22-10-2004, 02:55 PM
dave weil

On 22 Oct 2004 04:07:23 -0700, in rec.gardens.roses you wrote:

I'm thinking of relocating and have always dreamed of living somewhere
where I can grow roses without tons of black spot, mildew, etc. I
currently live in the Pacific NW, and while it's beautiful here, I'd
love to live in a moderate to warm climate where I can have outdoor
rooms to entertain in, and grow old fashioned flowers, vegetables,
etc. However, I'm not a big fan of extremely hot weather, so I'm
stymied. To make it even more difficult, I have always lived near
fresh or salt water and can't imagine not being near a major waterway
or ocean. So, with all that difficult criteria, any ideas where I
should be researching? Thanks for any of your thoughts! db

If you're only talking about the US, I think that the only place that
really fits all of your requirements is Southern California. I don't
think they have much trouble with blackspot there, although I could be
wrong.

Of course, you're going to have to pony up to live there...but the
upside is that you don't need very much in terms of heating and
cooling costs relative to the rest of us.

Old 24-10-2004, 04:43 AM
db

Maybe I'm dreaming...S Cal is a little too hot and unfathomable (for
other reasons) for me. What about outside of the US? Inside the US,
what about N. Calif., or somewhere midline between Wash. State and S
Cal? It looks like the weather in San Fran and that area is too cool.
I'm interested in traditional plants, i.e. roses, peonies, foxglove,
hellebore, clematis. I guess those are cottage garden type plants -
however I'm open to different types of plants, other than succulents,
cacti, and things that grow in the desert. Not my thing, although
beautiful. Again, is there such a place, or am I dreaming? Thanks
for your response! PS - I can deal with some black spot/mildew, etc.
Just not constantly!!! db

Old 24-10-2004, 04:36 PM
dave weil

On 23 Oct 2004 20:43:09 -0700, (db) wrote:

Maybe I'm dreaming...S Cal is a little too hot and unfathomable (for
other reasons) for me. What about outside of the US? Inside the US,
what about N. Calif., or somewhere midline between Wash. State and S
Cal? It looks like the weather in San Fran and that area is too cool.
I'm interested in traditional plants, i.e. roses, peonies, foxglove,
hellebore, clematis. I guess those are cottage garden type plants -
however I'm open to different types of plants, other than succulents,
cacti, and things that grow in the desert. Not my thing, although
beautiful. Again, is there such a place, or am I dreaming? Thanks
for your response! PS - I can deal with some black spot/mildew, etc.
Just not constantly!!! db

I always thought that the area around LA (but not the desert
obviously) was about the most "mild" that one could wish for. I've
never been there, but I know that many who live in the immediate LA
area can actually have rooms that stay open to the elements virtually
all year long and that the temp generally stays in the high 70s low
80s even in the dead of summer in most years (I could be wrong about
that though).

Now *living* in LA is a different matter entirely chuckle.

How about San Luis Obispo area? I think it gets a little chilly in
December though.

As far as north of San Francisco, I think that you're going to have
the same objections as you do with San Fran.

I'm pretty sure that the entire East Coast is out for you, in terms of
your requirements.

As far as outside the US, there are places in the Mediterrean area
that are pretty temperate. Islands like Ibiza.

I think that Hawaii, while certainly "tropical", is pretty moderate,
although I doubt that you'd have much of a chance of growing a
"cottage" style garden there.

How about Sydney?