Old 04-06-2005, 12:45 AM
lgb

Default Now THAT's yellow!

We were out at garage sales this morning. One yard had a rose bush that
was the most vibrant yellow I've ever seen. According to the tag, it
was "Henry Fonda".

I've always preferred rugosa roses and a few of the modern shrubs, but I
may have to backslide and plant this one, even if it is a hybrid tea.

Anyone have any comments based on experience with this variety?

--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever
Old 04-06-2005, 03:39 PM

Your right! This is one beautiful rose!

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/72686/

Never tried it but might be forced to now. g
jajd

Old 04-06-2005, 09:45 PM

We were out at garage sales this morning. One yard had a rose bush
that
was the most vibrant yellow I've ever seen. According to the tag, it
was "Henry Fonda".

How was the scent? I looked at the link and like the yellowness.
However, right now I'm still holding out for the Sunsprite.

Beth

Old 06-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Helen in NE Calif

I just planted Henry Fonda (I succumbed to the true yellow). It is in
bloom and loaded with buds -- long single stems. Looks like a florist's
rose. I do not know how fragrant it will be. Perhaps a slight
fragrance, but the yellow is spectacular and I can tell it will be a
good cutting rose.

Sunsprite - not a cutting rose for me. I had Sunsprite in a half barrel
at my former home and loved it. Very bushy, wide as it was tall. It
filled the whole half barrel and was in constant bloom.

Isn't Sunsprite a floribunda? I am away from my rose books, but I
remember that the roses were not singles, so I did not cut for vases. I
just let it bloom and bloom.

Sunsprite - excellent. Henry Fonda - I will know after this season.

Helen in the mountains of NE Calif.
where I have to select hardy roses
that will tolerate winter snow and
cool nights.

Old 06-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Helen, EA in PA

Henry is blooming for me know, but in my soil, he never gets very
large. I am not a yellow fan, but it is a fantastic color.

Not a lot of scent tho.

Helen, SouthCentral PA

Old 06-06-2005, 11:32 PM
KC

On 6 Jun 2005 13:17:22 -0700, "Helen in NE Calif"
wrote:

I just planted Henry Fonda (I succumbed to the true yellow). It is in
bloom and loaded with buds -- long single stems. Looks like a florist's
rose. I do not know how fragrant it will be. Perhaps a slight
fragrance, but the yellow is spectacular and I can tell it will be a
good cutting rose.

Sunsprite - not a cutting rose for me. I had Sunsprite in a half barrel
at my former home and loved it. Very bushy, wide as it was tall. It
filled the whole half barrel and was in constant bloom.

Isn't Sunsprite a floribunda? I am away from my rose books, but I
remember that the roses were not singles, so I did not cut for vases. I
just let it bloom and bloom.

Yes, a floribunda. I planted Gold Medal, a hybrid tea, next to it, so
I get the look and smell of Sunsprite while I cut the Gold Medals for
a vase.

KC

Old 07-06-2005, 12:43 AM

Helen in NE CA wrote:

Isn't Sunsprite a floribunda? I am away from my rose books, but I
remember that the roses were not singles, so I did not cut for vases. I

just let it bloom and bloom.

I don't bother to cut my roses for vases. My cats would make short
work of them. Juggling pet owning with gardening tends to make for
some interesting compromises.

Beth