Old 23-06-2005, 11:19 AM

Default New to growing climbers

Hi,
I have four climbers growing in a raised bed against the front wall of
my house (about 10' by 22'). The wall has NE exposure with at most 4
hours of good morning sun AND this was my first attempt at rose
growing, so am very thrilled that after 2 years they are finally taking
off. Because of the location I picked shade tolerant vaieties:
Awakening, Darlow's Enigma, Lavender Lassie, and Cl. Iceberg. Lavender
Lassie is about 8-9' and really blooming, the others had more winter
damagage the first year and are behind but catching up.

My questions a is there anything I can do -- pruning or anyhing
else-- to push them to their maximum height? I want most of the action
to be between 3 and 8 feet above ground, to hopefully cover the wall at
that level.
Also, I have four of these roses in a raised bed about 5-6 feet
apart. I don't mind at all mixing the canes/flowers, the trellis is
very strong, and the soil is excellent, but as they get bigger am I
going to run into problems root-wise? I there any way to compensate for
it?

Thanks for any help with this,
David

Old 24-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
I have four climbers growing in a raised bed against the front wall of
my house (about 10' by 22'). The wall has NE exposure with at most 4
hours of good morning sun AND this was my first attempt at rose
growing, so am very thrilled that after 2 years they are finally taking
off. Because of the location I picked shade tolerant vaieties:
Awakening, Darlow's Enigma, Lavender Lassie, and Cl. Iceberg. Lavender
Lassie is about 8-9' and really blooming, the others had more winter
damagage the first year and are behind but catching up.

My questions a is there anything I can do -- pruning or anyhing
else-- to push them to their maximum height? I want most of the action
to be between 3 and 8 feet above ground, to hopefully cover the wall at
that level.

Best to let them attain their mature growth on their own,
which should take a few years (more).

You don't really need to do much pruning, just to shape
and remove scratchy stuff from mowing/walking path
and, of course, anything obviously dead.

Also, I have four of these roses in a raised bed about 5-6 feet
apart. I don't mind at all mixing the canes/flowers, the trellis is
very strong, and the soil is excellent, but as they get bigger am I
going to run into problems root-wise? I there any way to compensate for
it?

Don't think there'll be a problem as long as you're giving
them adequate food and protection (e.g. mulch).

Thanks for any help with this,
David

Good luck.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

New to growing climbers [email protected] Roses 0 23-06-2005 11:19 AM
new to this - plus advise for evergreen climbers please? janemace United Kingdom 1 06-04-2005 09:00 AM
Fast growing climbers bnd777 United Kingdom 18 06-05-2003 11:32 AM
climbers heidi Roses 3 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Red & White Climbers climbing iceberg Radika Kesavan Roses 1 27-01-2003 10:09 AM