Old 30-04-2003, 11:56 PM
bnd777

Default Fast growing climbers

If you want colour on and off permanantly then Honeysuckle is your best bet
or some of the annual climbers like sweet peas, nasturtains etc would do for
this year while other perenial climbers get established

Clematis Montana would pretty quickly break the trellis
Clematis Armandi is evergreen and soon gets going but only flowers in March
Russian Vine or Mile a minute you would soon regret planting
Winter Jasmine though not really a climber does soon establish and can be
trained to cover the trellis but again only flowers in winter

"Scott Mills" wrote in message
Hi,

I've just put up 3 6x6' trellis pannels and would like to now try to cover
it! What is the fastest growing climber that is pretty but must be

rampent.

we have thought about ivy, but are there any other suggestions, I'd like
some colour there.

Cheers
Scott

Old 01-05-2003, 07:45 PM
Rod

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message How about the Chilean Glory Vine ( Ecremocarpus(?) ), had one
climbing
one my workshop for a few years....has a very long flowering season.

They can be grown easily from seed tho it's a bit late now to get it big enough to flower this year. Probably cheap
enough to buy a few to fill the trellis while you think about something more permanent.

Rod

Old 01-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Jim W

Scott Mills wrote:

Hi,

I've just put up 3 6x6' trellis pannels and would like to now try to cover
it! What is the fastest growing climber that is pretty but must be rampent.

we have thought about ivy, but are there any other suggestions, I'd like
some colour there.

Passiflora can be pretty vigourous once it gets going..

Russian vine is a bit of a thug, likewise Boston Ivy.

Some of the Hederas can be pretty aggressive.. For a annual solution
try Cucurbita ficifolia.. I had one that did 30 ft in a year..

Peuraria lobata 'might' work, but hard to find.. Will do 30 m a season
in USA (where it is a pest) so might perform quite well in the UK (to a
lesser degree)
//
Jim
Old 01-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Jim W

Rod wrote:

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message How about the
Chilean Glory Vine ( Ecremocarpus(?) ), had one climbing one my workshop
for a few years....has a very long flowering season.

They can be grown easily from seed tho it's a bit late now to get it big
enough to flower this year. Probably cheap enough to buy a few to fill the
trellis while you think about something more permanent.

Ecremocarpus are perrenial, no? Or at least they are here in London..
If you sow htis year, they will establish and flower next year.
//
Jim
Old 01-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article 1fuaqbj.1knqa414vholmN%00senetnospam@macunlimited .net,
Jim W wrote:
Rod wrote:

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message How about the
Chilean Glory Vine ( Ecremocarpus(?) ), had one climbing one my workshop
for a few years....has a very long flowering season.

They can be grown easily from seed tho it's a bit late now to get it big
enough to flower this year. Probably cheap enough to buy a few to fill the
trellis while you think about something more permanent.

Ecremocarpus are perrenial, no? Or at least they are here in London..
If you sow htis year, they will establish and flower next year.

They are tender, but will self-sow if they like the location. I got
them established once in Cambridge, but have failed to repeat it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 01-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Sam

"Scott Mills" wrote in message
Hi,

I've just put up 3 6x6' trellis pannels and would like to now try to

cover
it! What is the fastest growing climber that is pretty but must be

rampent.

we have thought about ivy, but are there any other suggestions, I'd

like
some colour there.

Don't whatever you do plant Russian vine. It isn't even pretty....
Eccremocarpus which some have suggested are very thin in colder
spots,for a nice annual how about mina lobata? And for rampantness,
you can't beat trailing nasturtiums (yes they climb as well) I had one
last year that nigh on strangled a buddleia, a garrya and a
lilac......
Slower but surer, one of those flat pyracanthas?

--
Sam
Remove top from email address to reply

Old 02-05-2003, 08:13 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Scott Mills" wrote in message
Hi,

I've just put up 3 6x6' trellis pannels and would like to now try to cover
it! What is the fastest growing climber that is pretty but must be

rampent.

we have thought about ivy, but are there any other suggestions, I'd like
some colour there.

Cheers
Scott

If Eccremocarpus will do so will Solanum laxum (syn jasminoides) Album
flowers for around 8 months here and is evergreen

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 02-05-2003, 08:33 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

If Eccremocarpus will do so will Solanum laxum (syn jasminoides) Album
flowers for around 8 months here and is evergreen

Sorry, but that is not so.

Obligatory woody and semi-woody evergreens like Solanum crispum or
jasminoides are usually very sensitive to being cut back to the
ground by frost; in the case of S. crispum, it definitely is.

Facultative semi-woody evergreens that can also grow herbaceously
like Eccremocarpus scaber are usually entirely different, and it
is. That is even excluding the fact that it can grow and self-seed
as an annual in the right place.

During the same period that I established E. scaber and so did another
person I gave some plants to, I lost a S. crispum to frost. As
evergreens, they may be comparable, but E. scaber may survive being
cut back by frost when S. jasminoides won't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

[...]

Sorry, my Eccremocarpus stays evergreen I did not realise they were
herbaceous elsewhere. I suppose the original poster could try Ercilla
volubilis Roger Van Loon says his was OK in Belgium, its certainly vigorous!

Old 03-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Derek Turner

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 22:13:29 +0100, "Scott Mills"
wrote:

Hi,

I've just put up 3 6x6' trellis pannels and would like to now try to cover
it! What is the fastest growing climber that is pretty but must be rampent.

we have thought about ivy, but are there any other suggestions, I'd like
some colour there.

as no-one else has suggested it, and it is a favourite of mine,
lupulus humulus 'Aureus'. Beutiful acid-green leaves bourne on red
stems in summer, hops in autumn, dies back to the ground in winter so
you can maintain the trellis. Mine are at 6 ft. at the moment and
growing (it seems) 4-6 inches a day.
--
Derek Turner

Outlook Express is worth precisely what you paid for it.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Sarah Dale

On Fri, 02 May 2003 19:22:17 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Obligatory woody and semi-woody evergreens like Solanum crispum or
jasminoides are usually very sensitive to being cut back to the
ground by frost; in the case of S. crispum, it definitely is.

Nick,

I must beg to difer, here in North Wales, I inherited a solanum crispum
with my garden when I bought it. Since then we have had 2 weeks frozen
with snow (2001), and more recently, heavy frosts and very cold weather
right through February this year. I've never seen any damage on the
solanum crispum in all this time, in fact it is flowering right now.

Can anyone tell me when and how to prune one of these? It's starting to
outgrow its alloted space - removing the tree that was smothering it has
caused it to grow a lot!

Sarah
Old 04-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sarah Dale wrote:
On Fri, 02 May 2003 19:22:17 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Obligatory woody and semi-woody evergreens like Solanum crispum or
jasminoides are usually very sensitive to being cut back to the
ground by frost; in the case of S. crispum, it definitely is.

I must beg to difer, here in North Wales, I inherited a solanum crispum
with my garden when I bought it. Since then we have had 2 weeks frozen
with snow (2001), and more recently, heavy frosts and very cold weather
right through February this year. I've never seen any damage on the
solanum crispum in all this time, in fact it is flowering right now.

Has it been cut down to the ground by frost? And what do you mean by
very cold weather? This was a WARM winter in most places!

In Cambridge, 20 years back, a very cold fortnight was -10 to -15 at
night, staying well below freezing in the day, with a near-continual
wind. The ground would freeze 4" down. We haven't had a cold (let
alone very cold) winter in nearly a decade.

When I lost my S. crispum, it was 3 days of -10 at night, below freezing
in the day, with a 10 MPH wind. Nothing exceptional.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:45 PM
Hussein M.

On Sat, 03 May 2003 18:02:21 +0100, Derek Turner
wrote:

we have thought about ivy, but are there any other suggestions, I'd like
some colour there.

as no-one else has suggested it, and it is a favourite of mine,
lupulus humulus 'Aureus'

A good suggestion I think. Family Cannabidaceae has provided two
very fine plants!

The other day (yesterday in fact), I recommended one as good
camouflage for the other in a guerilla grow.

Hussein

Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.