Old 16-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Gordon Couger

Default ξΑ: Wheat prices

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

Larry Caldwell wrote in message
In article ,
writes:
Larry Caldwell writes

What do you want, Jim? I just looked up the Portland prices. #1

hard
red winter wheat is bid $5.45, twice what it was a couple years

ago, and
soft white is around $4.65, up $1.30 from last year, with February
futures 10 cents higher. Most farmers are looking at a net of

$150-$250
per acre, depending on yields. That will pay the mortgage.

Currently UK soft is worth little more than 55UKP/T (say $US88/T) ex
farm.

Just think, with the switch to the Euro, the rest of the world will
actually be able to figure out how much something costs in Britain.

the rest of the world can now

Under UK situations this absolutely doesn't pay for most arable

farms.

In real terms it's about 1/15th of what we got 30 years ago.

I don't understand that at all. Portland prices are export bids and
carry no subsidy, so what you are looking at is what international

buyers
are willing to pay for wheat. Inland producing areas barge grain down
the Columbia and blow it onto grain freighters bound for the Far East.
Prices bid are minimum rail car lots, 100 metric tons.

Maybe you are too far from export markets, but I would think grain
freighters could make it through the Suez. Really deep draft ships

can't
make it to Portland either. The river channel limits them to a 43
foot draft. Even with higher shipping costs, I can't see it adding up

anywhere near $2 a bushel. We should be talking pennies. Your prices

in
Britain should be almost identical to Chicago prices, and maybe even a
little higher.

no, because US prices are higher at the moment because you haven't got
much wheat to export. You also keep out Ukranian wheat because of
phyto-sanitary regulations so do not face competition in your own
market.
UK export markets were the countries of the North African coast who now
buy mainly Ukranian wheat, as indeed are Spain which was one of the UKs
major customers last year.
We have to compete on the world market with Ukranian wheat which means
that our price is so low it looks like we will export up to 200,000
tonnes of feed wheat to the US this year.

Talk about taking coal to New Castle. Sell into our wheat feed market? I
suppose there is a better feed wheat market some where in the country than
around here. But here the only wheat that goes for wheat is junk we can't
sell for human consumption. But we don't have any poultry. It is too hot in
the summer. Regular temperatures of 110 f or 43 C cause too much death loss.
The hottest I ever saw was 122f or 50C

I am sure that the poultry industry buys a good deal of wheat for feed and
if the price is right hog farmers will too.

The prices for the rest of the crop year for feed wheat should be better.
Corn prices seem to be good as well. I haven't seen a quote for feed wheat.

I have never thought about what the weakening dollar does to you as an
exporter. Since the FED had to replace the water cooling system on the money
printing machine with liquid nitrogen after thing went to pot over here the
have greatly increased the money supply.

Most every one I talk to is holding wheat for higher prices and the way
corn prices are acting they must be doing the same there as well.

Gordon