Old 16-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Larry Caldwell

Default Wheat prices

The Australian wheat crop is now estimated to be down 53% because of
drought. http://www.iht.com/articles/74739.html

Some areas of the USA have also had reduced production because of
drought. If you happen to be raising wheat in an area that got good
rains last year, you might actually make some money for once.

My mother is holding her wheat until after the first of the year, mostly
for tax reasons, but she may do well with that timing.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc
Old 16-04-2003, 09:44 AM
JMartin

I was reading that there is a shortage of wheat seed in Southern
Illinois. I know lots of people around here are planting wheat.
Usually no one does.

We aren't, but maybe we should be.

Jena
Old 16-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Gordon Couger

I talked to the grain merchant that sold to when I was farming and it seems
lots of people are following your aunt's strategy. He said the higher the
price the less he is offered. He is not selling any of his stocks either. He
thought he might start shipping some next month. But he may have a million
bushels to move so he can't sell it all on one day.

Late summer rains in Oklahoma look good for wheat and planting intentions
are high.
I haven't paid much attention but I am sure a lot of grain is in the ground
already when they should be just starting unless they are using it for
pasture.

Gordon.

Old 16-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Goedjn

I was reading that there is a shortage of wheat seed in Southern
Illinois. I know lots of people around here are planting wheat.
Usually no one does.

We aren't, but maybe we should be.

If a lot of people are planting it who usually don't,
doesn't that imply a forthcoming glut? What do the
people who are suddenly planting wheat USUALLY plant?
Old 16-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Larry Caldwell

In article , writes:

If a lot of people are planting it who usually don't,
doesn't that imply a forthcoming glut? What do the
people who are suddenly planting wheat USUALLY plant?

A lot of farmers around here lucked out. They grow a lot of ryegrass
seed. I think 90% of the US supply of grass seed comes from Oregon.
Farmers contract with seed companies to raise specific strains, then
clean, bag and label it for the seed company. Terms are COD.

Well, the seed companies contracted too much acreage, so the farmers got
stuck with the seed, sitting in their warehouses taking up storage while
not getting paid for their crop. Some farmers had to wait 2 years before
they could deliver the crop and collect their money. That hurts. How
many businesses do you know that could wait 2 years to collect their
annual receipts?

The farmers got peeved at the grass seed companies, and refused to plant
any more grass seed without contractual payment dates and storage
charges. When the grass seed companies dragged their feet, the farmers
planted wheat instead. You always knew I was getting around to the
point, didn't you?

It worked out pretty good. The farmers have wheat to sell during a
market runup, and the grass seed companies are in short supply again and
being a lot more conciliatory about payment dates.

In the Palouse, wheat rotates through with millet and barley. In other
areas, rotation crops are corn and soybeans.

The crop failure in Australia means the northern hemisphere will be able
to get a crop in and harvested before the southern hemisphere will be
able to respond. Winter wheat is going in now in Canada, Europe and the
USA, but won't be planted in Australia and Argentina until 6 months from
now. The Ukraine had a bumper crop of wheat this year, and the wheat
shortage is going to do wonders for their economy.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc