Old 19-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Oz

Default Education: UK

I note from the sunday times that it is now proposed that there should
be an easier maths A level.

It will have no calculus, and have statistics and 'use of spreadsheets'
instead.

Obviously someone has failed to notice that A level maths already has a
whole bunch of statistics modules. They are grouped pure, mechanics and
statistics right now.

As to 'use of spreadsheets', well that'll be a tough one, won't it?

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.

Old 19-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Oz

Jim Webster writes
"Oz" wrote in message
Mind you it is a moot point how many technocrats we actually need.
Very, very, few end up doing research. Most end up in industry (and
there is not much of that left), often as a glorified maintenance man
(nothing wrong with that) and only rarely actually designing something.

Even more go into management or 'financial services'. Pretty lucrative
and often interesting. Some into teaching, even fewer as a vocation.

It's worth remembering that in the 60's only about 2% of the children
leaving school went to university and well under half of those did
sciences. Many of those went into teaching and a tiny number into
academia.

yes but in the 50s and 60s no one bothered too much about public
acceptability of scientific advance. Now everything gets howled down by semi
educated witch burners

Good point. Half of them demanding instant cures and the other half
(possibly including a subset of the first half), busily preventing them
using the tools required to do the job.

Simultaneously they are berated for not doing the impossible.

Hmm, bit like farmer's really. Someone obviously has it in for me.

Old 19-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Jim Webster

"Oz" wrote in message

I note from the sunday times that it is now proposed that there should
be an easier maths A level.

It will have no calculus, and have statistics and 'use of spreadsheets'
instead.

Obviously someone has failed to notice that A level maths already has a
whole bunch of statistics modules. They are grouped pure, mechanics and
statistics right now.

As to 'use of spreadsheets', well that'll be a tough one, won't it?

especially if they made them use them in a power cut with limited battery
time

Jim Webster

Old 19-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Hämisch Macbeth

"Oz" wrote in message

I note from the sunday times that it is now proposed that there should

As to 'use of spreadsheets', well that'll be a tough one, won't it?

We have a mathematician at work who solves every problem as a
spreadsheet,
the maths behind some of the cells could be considered "challenging" in
anyone's money.

Old 19-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Oz

Hämisch Macbeth writes
"Oz" wrote in message

I note from the sunday times that it is now proposed that there should

As to 'use of spreadsheets', well that'll be a tough one, won't it?

We have a mathematician at work who solves every problem as a
spreadsheet,
the maths behind some of the cells could be considered "challenging" in
anyone's money.

I rather doubt a level that considers calculus 'too hard' is going to
have 'challenging' spreadsheet modelmaking.

Simple calculus is hardly difficult, it's 300 years old and involves
little more than slopes and areas under graphs.