Old 09-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Ka30P

Default OT Education was new Harry Potter film

We had a Compartive Religions class in my USA high school. Also a very good
class, very small with only interested kids attending so it was an
easy/challenging class for the teacher to teach.
Nothing offered like that in my teen's high school today. Though they do have
an alternative religions club.

As a Mom to 2 identified students I can tell you with certainty that there

is no savings to be made in the area of special education.

Another subject near and dear to mine heart as the mother of a dyslexic 8th
grader. Though he has had excellent teachers, they are overwhelmed with the
number and scope of all the students that come their way. Luckily I had the
time, money and the skill (not being dyslexic myself) to supplement his
education. We could use triple the dollars for the programs and still need
more.

The other thing I noticed has changed is the whole second language issue. We
started French in grade eight when I was in school in Canada. A Canadian
friend has her daughter starting in kindergarten. Here foreign language is
offered, Spanish only, as a supplemental class in middle school. All college
bound students must have two years in high school.

kathy :-)
Old 09-06-2004, 07:14 PM
axeman chris

"Ka30P" wrote in message

[...]

My eldest daughter is in JK this year & will be starting French Immersion
next fall in SK. It's an opportunity I wish I had had. However, I have 3
girls and I'm not going to have teenage daughters who can speak a language I
can't, so I'll be taking a French course myself in the near future.

Jacqui

Old 09-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Ka30P

Jacqui wrote I'm not going to have teenage daughters who can speak a language
can't, so I'll be taking a French course myself

chortle!
My sister-in-law has two daughters who both were exchange students and both
speak Slovakian...

kathy :-)
Old 10-06-2004, 05:10 AM
Janet

Kathy in our seperate highschools there is a world religion studies course
option in either grade 11 or 12. I know I saw it in my son's course guide
book and we talked a little about it. He is thinking he may take it in one
of those years...

[...]

Been there, done that and pray I don't have to do it again! ;o) My oldest is
diagnosed with learning disabilities, central auditory processing disorder
(CAPD) and also has visual processing issues. I cringe when I think about
how much money we've spent, he's also had extensive occupational therapy at
school as well as worked with a speech-language therapist. He also wears an
FM system at school for all his classes. My middle kiddo is actually a
gifted learner (go figure!) and my youngest is incredibly similar to her
older brother. She also has CAPD and was speech delayed. She was enrolled in
a special class for SK where she spent a half day in a regular classroom and
the other half with a speech language therapist.

The other thing I noticed has changed is the whole second language issue.

We
started French in grade eight when I was in school in Canada. A Canadian
friend has her daughter starting in kindergarten. Here foreign language is
offered, Spanish only, as a supplemental class in middle school. All

college
bound students must have two years in high school.

Our kids now start learning french in juniour kindergarden.It's been this
way in my board for 9 years. My middle kiddo is in grade 7 and was the first
year. My brother is completely bilingual (thanks to living in Paris for 2
years, not school) and my kiddo can hold a conversation with him. My
youngest, even with her language difficulties is actually quite
conversational in french as well. Our kids must take french all the way
through elementary and must have 1 french credit to graduate highschool.
Janet in Niagara Falls who thankfully missed the doosy storm today!

kathy :-)

Old 10-06-2004, 05:11 AM
Janet

--

"axeman chris" wrote in message

My eldest daughter is in JK this year & will be starting French Immersion
next fall in SK. It's an opportunity I wish I had had. However, I have 3
girls and I'm not going to have teenage daughters who can speak a language

can't, so I'll be taking a French course myself in the near future.

Jacqui

ROTFLMAO! That is too funny. I must say though by the time they are
teenagers they become invisible anyway...
Janet... Mom to a 15 yr old that we never see, we just check from time to
time to see if he's *still* on the phone! )

Old 10-06-2004, 05:12 AM
Ka30P

Janet wrote Been there, done that and pray I don't have to do it again!

It took a couple years for our youngest to be diagnosed dyslexic and a visual
spatial learner. I often wish I could have stopped time for a year and read all
the books I eventually plowed through to figure out what to do. And I'm still
doing it, just read one last month and am still learning things about the
wonderful world of the visual spatial soul.

kathy :-)

Review of Alnwick Garden (Part of Alnwick Castle, which was Hogworts School in Harry Potter) [email protected] Gardening 0 19-03-2007 06:33 PM
OT new Harry Potter film dkat Ponds 19 10-06-2004 08:06 AM
new Harry Potter film [email protected] Ponds 26 09-06-2004 03:14 PM
Shrek 2, weas new Harry Potter film Tom L. La Bron Ponds 9 09-06-2004 03:12 PM
OT Harry Potter OT K30a Ponds 71 10-07-2003 05:32 AM