Old 09-08-2007, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Green house - what type of panels?

I have finally found the joy of gardner at 42 years young. I would like to
put a green house at the top of the garden. The problem is what type should
I get, glass panels or poly carbonate panel. I live in Nottingham if this
helps. The green house will get the sun most of the day in the summer a
some sun in the winter.

Thanks,

Ian G.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"IanG" wrote in message
I have finally found the joy of gardner at 42 years young. I would like to
put a green house at the top of the garden. The problem is what type
should I get, glass panels or poly carbonate panel. I live in Nottingham
if this helps. The green house will get the sun most of the day in the
summer a some sun in the winter.

Thanks,

Ian G.

Hi Ian,i have two kids so
I personally wouldnt touch horticultural glass with a barge pole ,as it
breaks into dangerous pieces.I have one greenhouse with toughened glass
which is more expensive,but the glass is thicker and shatters if broken. But
i was still nervous with the glass with the kids so i panelled the lower
half with fence panels.I also have a 28ft orchid greenhouse with has 16 mm
polycarbonate,i used this purely for its U value so will save me money/heat
in the long run.Glass lets more light/heat through than polycarbonate .Even
without the kids i would not like to be in a greenhouse if a panel went with
horti glass.So you will have to make up your mind with your own
circumstances.
By the way i also live in Nottingham, Hucknall.
Hope this helps
Cheers Keith

Old 09-08-2007, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have polycarbonate. Last year a great tomato and cucumber crop but this
year not good! But that's probably climate controlled!

During the January storms I lost all the panels but recovered most.
Replaced cheaply from GARDENA (Spalding) - collected with no problems.
Their flexibility may be their saving grace but I wonder if it is also their
vulnerability. My father has toughened glass and lost one pane only!

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Old 11-08-2007, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Ian of Nottingham.. :-)

I have finally found the joy of gardner at 42 years young.

Fine..!

I would like to put a green house at the top of the
garden. The problem is what type should I get,
glass panels or poly carbonate panel.

Well "brainstormingly" I'd recommend a special poly
carbonate panel instead of normal glass. The special PC I
mean will be able to transmit UV light (important in
winter)..

I live in Nottingham if this helps. The green house will
get the sun most of the day in the summer a some sun
in the winter.

I'd recommend sun protection in summer but in winter the
special PC will guide the most light and UV through the
panel..
--
cu
Marco, who once planed, constructed, built and sold
Old 15-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Schwarz View Post
Hi Ian of Nottingham.. :-)

[...]

If you haven't erected your greenhouse yet you might like to think about building it over a hole. I did this with an 8 x 12 greenhouse down to a depth of 2 feet. I built a wall around the edge to put the greenhouse on , and lined the base with 4" breeze blocks. The soil underneath these drains well. During the winter, angle iron from front to back on both sides provides staging at 18"high. I use old scaffolding planks from the iron to the wall. In theory the temperature of the greenhouse should be a little warmer in the winter. I get an extra 18" of height in my greenhouse which can be very useful and the breeze blocks allow free drainage of water and can be easily sterilised.

Corn Plant - House Plant Type - Propagation Bunny McElwee Gardening 4 11-08-2003 06:42 PM
orchid house roof panels bb Orchids 7 21-05-2003 02:56 PM
"Green Waste" and fence panels - long and a few questions Warwick United Kingdom 0 20-04-2003 01:44 AM
[IBC] Panels for Greenhouses ?? Mark Hill Bonsai 5 12-03-2003 03:44 PM
WTB: Greenhouse clear plastic panels Gene S Texas 14 27-02-2003 02:19 PM