Old 03-10-2005, 03:34 AM
JetGarden

Default Grass Query

What type of grass is best suited for shade and drought conditions in
Austin? What is the best time of year to plant grass of this type? TIA
for replies.
--
JG
Old 03-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Lil' Dave

"JetGarden" wrote in message
What type of grass is best suited for shade and drought conditions in
Austin? What is the best time of year to plant grass of this type? TIA
for replies.
--
JG

http://www.sodsolutions.com/palmetto/index.shtml

After the last frost of late winter/early spring.

Suggest 2-3 inch mowing height, 2 week intervals in shaded areas. During
drought periods, keep mowing to a minimum, if at all. Helps retain ground
moisture.

Old 03-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Treedweller

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 13:01:04 GMT, "Lil' Dave"
wrote:

"JetGarden" wrote in message
.. .
What type of grass is best suited for shade and drought conditions in
Austin? What is the best time of year to plant grass of this type? TIA
for replies.
--
JG

http://www.sodsolutions.com/palmetto/index.shtml

After the last frost of late winter/early spring.

Suggest 2-3 inch mowing height, 2 week intervals in shaded areas. During
drought periods, keep mowing to a minimum, if at all. Helps retain ground
moisture.

I don't know this particular variety but have to agree St. Aug is
surprisingly low-maintenance if you have a lot of shade. I watered
about 3-4 times this year (mostly for the trees). At times (including
now) the grass has looked pretty dry and crispy, but it always comes
back with some rain or sprinkler action. I mow infrequently (not
recommended by official sources) and set the mower as high as possible
when I do. It wouldn't fly in a neighborhood where every house has a
bright, green carpet and a crew that shows up twice a week like
clockwork, but in my area this is enough to keep up with the joneses.

For fertilizer, I apply a layer of manure compost in spring and fall.
Haven't even been doing that for long, but after 10 yrs in this house
it still looks good (never would have put in sod myself, but it came
with the house).

Having said all that, I think there is a shade-tolerant zoysia as
well, and it would probably look even better with less mowing,
assuming it lives up to the hype (no personal experience there).

Old 04-10-2005, 10:28 AM
Lil' Dave

"Treedweller" wrote in message
On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 13:01:04 GMT, "Lil' Dave"
wrote:

"JetGarden" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Lotta reading up on that zoysia other than the hoopla advertising. Its
mostly hype. That's why I stuck with tried and true St. Augustine.

Old 05-10-2005, 04:08 AM
JetGarden

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 09:28:25 GMT, Lil' Dave wrote:

"Treedweller" wrote in message

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 13:01:04 GMT, "Lil' Dave"
wrote:

"JetGarden" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks for the tips, Lil' Dave and Treedweller. I'll give the St
Augustine a try in four or five months.
--
JG