Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Whit

Default Transplanting question

I have some xeriscape plants in the back I want to put in the front.
Little bluestem, big muhly, maybe some agave. Is this a good time of
year, if it stops raining long enough for me to do it?
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Rusty Mase

On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 23:04:14 GMT, Whit
wrote:

I have some xeriscape plants in the back I want to put in the front.
Little bluestem, big muhly, maybe some agave. Is this a good time of
year, if it stops raining long enough for me to do it?

I would wait for the first hard freeze to put them into dormancy, but
there is little risk of doing it now - maybe even a good idea. They
might have a month to set up roots - but I would not fertilize them,
especially with nitrogen.

Rusty Mase

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Steve Coyle

Howdy folks,
There is a nice trick with transplanting that I've used for some
years.
A few weeks before I plan to move a shrub or Rose, I take a sharp
spade and sever straight down in a through the soil, in a circle the
size that I am comfortable to move as a root ball.
This way the roots start re growing while the plant is still
protected in the soil. When I come back later to lift the root ball
I have some nice feeder roots already started and I get less
transplant shock.

Everyone enjoy this great weather here in Austin.

Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com