Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Rita Foust

Default Worm culture

Where can I get info on caring for worms. I don't want to raise them, I
just need some advice on what to do with someone else's throwaways.

Situation is: My Dad bought a place in the country and the people that left
had two huge vats of worms and compost. Dad didn't have time to deal with
them right now as he has to work on fixing up the house before he can work
on the yard. He needed the shed right away, so the worms had to move out.
I begged him to let me have the worms. The former residents took one vat
with them I guess. Dad and I emptied the other one into a large plastic
garbage can and one plastic 55 gallon drum. The worms are in my driveway
and I need to know what to do with them next. It is down to the 50 or 60's
at night now. Should I pull up the remnants of my summer veggie garden
(cherry tomatoes are still producing prolifically, believe it or not) and
dump them out? AlsoI planned to put some on my perennial flower bed. Will
this be OK? I assume the worms will go down in the dirt and then I can till
in the good worm dirt in the spring. These worms have been raised on rabbit
food, and house scraps. What happens when I dump them in the garden and no
one feeds them anymore??

Thanks for the advice.
Rita
Garland, TX
8a

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

For now, while you are learning what to do permanently, buy a 22 gallon
Rubbermaid container, poke some holes in the bottom. Use the top to catch any
water which comes from the bottom and use it to water plants...it won't be much,
so don't worry about having tons of worm water! Tear up newspaper, cardboard,
throw in orange peels, peels of all types, lettuce bottoms and anything fresh
you'd regularly put on the compost pile. Put the container in a place where it
doesn't go much below 60 degrees. Under your sink is good. Check the worms
every so often, maybe every 3 days. They eat everything and make castings.

Go out and buy a book called "Worms Eat my Garbage." I'm sure you can find it
at Half Price Books or in the library. Small, quick read.