Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
ratSenoL

Default Greenbelt Tree ID?

Anyone know what the evergreen tree/bush, which looks a lot like a
ficus benjamani but with tiny grape-like clusters of purple-black
fruit, growing along the greenbelt is? Most seemed to be
multitrunked, with very light bark and rather glossy dark green
leaves. (I didn't have my camera today, and I don't have a web site
to post a photo to anyway.) I didn't see anything like it in
Wasowski's NATIVE PLANTS. Is it native, naturalized, undesirable for
any particular reason? Are the fruits eaten by birds or animals?

Just looking for native species with interesting textures, colors,
and/or wildlife attracting properties.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
HallieSC

Sounds like ligustrum to me. Invasive pest as far as I am concerned.

Hallie
Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Terry Horton

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 17:43:09 GMT, "Texensis"
wrote:

"ratSenoL" wrote in message
. com...

| Thanks for the responses; although somewhat pretty, it doesn't sound
| like something I want in my landscape.

We had one, two stories tall, that had to be taken down, here before
we were. They do invade the creekbeds and crowd out the native
understory, but the berries produced by our specimen did attract the
most beautiful flocks of cedar waxwings twice a year.

One of the first things I did when we moved here was to chop down the
huge ligustrums shading out what was then a very young possumhaw. The
possumhaw is now 12' or so, and set a good crop of berries this year.
Its a good example of how ligustrum may not be offering more food for
birds, just displacing previously available wild food sources that
local and migratory bird species have adapted to and depend on.

On the eastern corner we have a near monoculture of small ligustrums,
where nothing like a new possumhaw would ever have a chance. I'm
cutting and pulling as fast as I can. :-)