Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
John

Default Q: Are these claims on Zoysia true?

I just saw an ad on the backcover of Pedernales Electric Co-op magazine
touting Zoysia as the "nearly perfect" grass. They claim that it hardly
requires watering, mowing, or any other care for that matter - weed control,
disease, etc.
It claimed that it will even choke out crabgrass and weeds. According to
the ad, if I plant 1" square plugs in the soil at 1 foot apart, I will soon
have a lush green Zoysia lawn that hardly requires any maintenance. It just
sounds simply too good to be true.
Does anyone have actual knowledge or experience to voucher for or dispel
these outlandish claims?

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Elizabeth of the Tudor Tarts

Default Are these claims on Zoysia true?

Well let's see...after three days of back-breaking, on your knees work (no
the plugger gadget that they sent "free", that we threw away after the first
hole because it didn't work), two years ago, planting around 2500 1" plugs
in our backyard, then watering it every day for two weeks like it said.....

we still haven't got a clue where the Zoysia is.

--
Elizabeth of the Tudor Tarts
http://www.tudortarts.com/

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Dave-tx

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 02:23:41 GMT, John wrote:
I just saw an ad on the backcover of Pedernales Electric Co-op magazine
touting Zoysia as the "nearly perfect" grass. They claim that it hardly
requires watering, mowing, or any other care for that matter - weed control,
disease, etc.
It claimed that it will even choke out crabgrass and weeds. According to
the ad, if I plant 1" square plugs in the soil at 1 foot apart, I will soon
have a lush green Zoysia lawn that hardly requires any maintenance. It just
sounds simply too good to be true.
Does anyone have actual knowledge or experience to voucher for or dispel
these outlandish claims?

I don't know about plugs, but I sodded Zoysia three years ago. It took
about a year for it to really establish itself, but it's done a good
job against the weeds. I have a few instances of johnson grass (I really,
truely, hate that stuff) that are persistant, but otherwise, grass has
really taken over. The toughest invaders are the St. Augustine runners
from the neighbors' yards.

I do water it, but not much. I do mow it, but only once a month (or less).

-Dave
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Scott Harper

In article , "John" wrote:
I just saw an ad on the backcover of Pedernales Electric Co-op magazine
touting Zoysia as the "nearly perfect" grass. They claim that it hardly
requires watering, mowing, or any other care for that matter - weed control,
disease, etc.
It claimed that it will even choke out crabgrass and weeds. According to
the ad, if I plant 1" square plugs in the soil at 1 foot apart, I will soon
have a lush green Zoysia lawn that hardly requires any maintenance. It just
sounds simply too good to be true.
Does anyone have actual knowledge or experience to voucher for or dispel
these outlandish claims?

I put in 4" plugs about 4" apart (checkerboard style) in a small area
under some trees. It took about a year, but they did finally fill in
nicely, and it has even started spreading beyond the original area.
Seems to do well in the shade, supposed to do well in the sun. And it
does seem like it chokes out the weeds pretty well. I'm considering
sodding a larger area.

sh