Old 19-04-2006, 04:39 AM posted to austin.gardening
marcesent

Default fast-growing Thuja "Green Giant" trees?

I wish I had the variety to post here - I'll ask him if he remembers. I do
remember it was not supposed to "run" and that he planted it in the plastic
pots, even.

Personally I think it is some alien life form that has come to devastate
their lives, but what do I know.

Oh, have I mentioned that bamboo clumps (whether they run or not) make
excellent homes for rats? REEEEAAALLLYY big rats....the kind that get bold
and run across your deck while you're sitting outside at night enjoying a
cold beer with friends? The kind that are so big your dog says, "Oh, HELL
no!" The kind that when you see them sitting on the fence in the moonlight
(daintily spitting out the remnants of the rat poison that seems to faze
them not at all) you consider moving to NYC to get to live with smaller
ones?

Oh, and the snakes that jump out of it periodically are fun too. And have I
mentioned the black widow nesting opportunities? It's an excellent nature
learning experience for the little ones - like your own mini subtropical
forest in your own backyard!

Can you tell I hate bamboo? Hee hee! I vote for anything else.....

Julie

"TLR" wrote in message
et...
Wow, that's interesting, informative and a bit scary. I do have to wonder
if it truly was a non-invasive type!
Clumping bamboos is supposed to be genetically incapable of expanding more
than a few inches a year. However, I did read a while back that some types
of clumping bamboo do spread faster than others, but at a much slower rate
than the underground runner type.
However, this may be entirely relative if not expecting any spreading at
all!

Anybody else growing clumping bamboo in the northerly-easterly burbs?

Teri

"marcesent" wrote in message
My best friend lives in Cedar Park and her husband planted bamboo as a
"privacy screen" by their bedroom 5 years ago.

I told him baaaaad idea.

They were soon mowing bamboo out of their lawn - 20 feet away. It was
supposed to be a "non-running" type. They have tried every herbicide
possible, concrete, digging it out, depriving it of water, even setting
it on fire with gasoline.

I still get the I-told-you-so's in every year.. Ha ha!

Julie

Old 19-04-2006, 02:44 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 02:42:13 GMT, "TLR" wrote:

Wow, that's interesting, informative and a bit scary. I do have to wonder
if it truly was a non-invasive type!

Wrong term; it's running or clumping. Indeed in the native habitat of
the variety being talked about the characteristics are that, running
or clumping. However, the only native in Texas I'm aware of is golden
bamboo and it definitely is not a clumping variety.

Clumping bamboos is supposed to be genetically incapable of expanding more
than a few inches a year. However, I did read a while back that some types
of clumping bamboo do spread faster than others, but at a much slower rate
than the underground runner type.
However, this may be entirely relative if not expecting any spreading at
all!

Anybody else growing clumping bamboo in the northerly-easterly burbs?

Teri

Yes. I grow it in a 75 gallon container and it's a clumper and each
year needs to be removed, roots trimmed and placed back into the
container with fresh compost. Black bamboo.
Old 19-04-2006, 02:51 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

I assure you, the rat poison is some of the most violent, torturous,
brutal horrible death you can give a rat. In the six years we've been
on this property, and there was nothing growing on this property sans
three old growth live oaks, I have never had to poison a rat.

I have huge brush piles for them to live on the far end of the
property, and they do live in there with a oppossom, Carolina wrens,
cardinals, and others. There is another brush pile much smaller on
the other side of the yard and we have rat snakes living in there and
I just saw one yesterday with a huge lump in it.

Rats used to come up to my deck, but that was my own fault, I insisted
on feeding the birds near the house. The rats come for the sunflower
seeds. Now, after the sunflowers finish and dry, I crumble them near
the feeder way out by the big brush and I haven't seen a rat all year.

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 03:39:19 GMT, "marcesent"
wrote:

[...]

. net...

Old 20-04-2006, 03:21 AM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

TLR typed:
Wow, that's interesting, informative and a bit scary. I do have to
wonder if it truly was a non-invasive type!
Clumping bamboos is supposed to be genetically incapable of
expanding more than a few inches a year. However, I did read a
while back that some types of clumping bamboo do spread faster than
others, but at a much slower rate than the underground runner type.
However, this may be entirely relative if not expecting any
spreading at all!

Anybody else growing clumping bamboo in the northerly-easterly
burbs?
Teri

My son and his friends were making forts in an uncleared lot in Oak Ridge,
and he came home and asked if I wanted some bamboo. There were two HUGE
clumps of bamboo in this lot. Canes 2" or better thick, probably 20' tall
or better, 4-6' across. Just big round clumps. It was cool. I went back
in spring to try to dig a piece and the lot had been leveled.

Old 20-04-2006, 03:23 AM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Jangchub typed:
wrote:

[...]

75-gallon! Wow, I'm trying to picture that. What's the diameter and what's
it made of?

Old 20-04-2006, 02:47 PM posted to austin.gardening
Nancy KP

In TLR wrote:
Wow, that's interesting, informative and a bit scary. I do have to
wonder if it truly was a non-invasive type! Clumping bamboos is
supposed to be genetically incapable of expanding more than a few
inches a year. However, I did read a while back that some types of
clumping bamboo do spread faster than others, but at a much slower
rate than the underground runner type. However, this may be entirely
relative if not expecting any spreading at all!

Anybody else growing clumping bamboo in the northerly-easterly burbs?

Teri

I am north east of Leander, and have both the running bamboo and a dwarf
clumping bamboo. The clumping bamboo did not expand much at all, and we
have had it for about 15-20 years now.

Old 20-04-2006, 04:38 PM posted to austin.gardening
TLR

Default bamboo (was fast-growing Thuja "Green Giant" trees?)

Thanks for that info, Nancy. When you say 'dwarf' how tall is it? Do you
recall the variety or where you bought it?
Thanks,
Teri in CP

snip"Nancy KP" I am north east of Leander, and have both the running
bamboo and a dwarf
clumping bamboo. The clumping bamboo did not expand much at all, and we
have had it for about 15-20 years now./snip

Old 20-04-2006, 06:25 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 02:23:30 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

75-gallon! Wow, I'm trying to picture that. What's the diameter and what's
it made of?

It's a very sturdy lightweight thick foam pot, and it's 3 feet tall by
about 3 feet wide at the opening.
Old 21-04-2006, 03:15 AM posted to austin.gardening
Latosha Washington

"Jangchub" wrote in message
I think a large problem is that something which may clump in Wisconsin
or New York will run and raise the house down here in Texas! For
example, bamboo. Black bamboo is really not a runner, but it is in
Texas. Especially when we have a winter where we barely had a frost,
it was not even a hard freeze and even my cannas didn't die this
winter!

My working title of the book is:

"When North Moves South:
The Mistakes We Make"

Anyway, I am in pain right now and I took pain medication so I get
verbose and weepy when I am on darvon! Sorry

Victoria

I planted some black bamboo because I heard it was not as invasive as the
gold variety. While that is correct
it still does spread. It's easy to mow over it or lop it off, however.

Old 21-04-2006, 03:24 AM posted to austin.gardening
Nancy KP

In TLR wrote:
Thanks for that info, Nancy. When you say 'dwarf' how tall is it? Do
you recall the variety or where you bought it? Thanks, Teri in CP

alas, no, but it is not black bamboo.
It tops out at 7 feet or less.

snip"Nancy KP" I am north east of Leander, and have both the
running bamboo and a dwarf
clumping bamboo. The clumping bamboo did not expand much at all, and
we have had it for about 15-20 years now./snip

Old 21-04-2006, 03:45 AM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Jangchub typed:
wrote:

75-gallon! Wow, I'm trying to picture that. What's the diameter
and what's it made of?

It's a very sturdy lightweight thick foam pot, and it's 3 feet tall
by about 3 feet wide at the opening.

Where did you get it?
Thanks,
Cindy

Old 21-04-2006, 04:12 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Jangchub typed:
wrote:

75-gallon! Wow, I'm trying to picture that. What's the diameter
and what's it made of?

It's a very sturdy lightweight thick foam pot, and it's 3 feet tall
by about 3 feet wide at the opening.

Where did you get it?
Thanks,
Cindy

If I remember correctly, I think Garden Ridge when they have their
50% off sales on pottery.
Old 22-04-2006, 05:04 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Jangchub typed:

It's a very sturdy lightweight thick foam pot, and it's 3 feet
tall by about 3 feet wide at the opening.

Where did you get it?
Thanks,
Cindy

If I remember correctly, I think Garden Ridge when they have their
50% off sales on pottery.

Hmm I'll have to look closer. I was there the other day, but didn't see
anything that big.
Thanks,
Cindy

Thuja "Green giant" supplier in UK Julian200 United Kingdom 0 12-05-2011 02:30 PM
Thuja Green Giant ctlady Gardening 1 22-08-2007 09:27 PM
Thuja Green Giant Screening Trees: Your Experience Buster Chops Lawns 1 28-08-2006 02:06 AM
local source for Thuja "Green Giant"? MMarks Texas 0 16-02-2006 06:00 PM
Thuja Green Giant Jack Gardening 0 04-02-2006 04:55 PM