Old 10-04-2006, 03:06 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default fast-growing Thuja "Green Giant" trees?

Anybody in the Austin area attempted to grow Thuja "Green Giant" trees?
I need a privacy screen, fast. TEXDOT bulldozed my screening oaks in
the process of building the new HW130.

Clint

Old 12-04-2006, 10:02 PM posted to austin.gardening
Algx

Don't know anything about the Green Giants, but the Leyland Cypress is very
fast growing (3+ feet a year)

oups.com...

Old 13-04-2006, 04:24 PM posted to austin.gardening
Latosha Washington

Japanese Ligustrum are good for screens too - fast growing - but not native
(whatever that means).

oups.com...

Old 13-04-2006, 04:26 PM posted to austin.gardening
Mike Harris

but not native
(whatever that means).

Latosha,

You're kidding, surely?

--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Old 13-04-2006, 09:45 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:26:08 GMT, "Mike Harris"
wrote:

but not native
(whatever that means).

Latosha,

You're kidding, surely?

I have to give the benefit of the doubt when people suggest them,
always with the hope that they just don't know. I'm very conflicted
with my own property. There are 3 waxleaf ligustrums and 3 Chinese
variegated privets (sp?)

Every year there are three pairs of cardinals which nest in those
privets. So, after the broods are done and fledge, I think I'm going
to slowly hedge trim them a little at a time till they are nubs and
pull them out with a winch and truck!

It's so important to be careful how and what we plant in the
landscape. I've made many mistakes, that's for sure.

I have a question; I may have asked before, but if I wrote a book for
northerners who move to Central Texas, do you think it would be
helpful to enough people?

I think a large problem is that something which may clump in Wisconsin
or New York will run and raise the house down here in Texas! For
example, bamboo. Black bamboo is really not a runner, but it is in
Texas. Especially when we have a winter where we barely had a frost,
it was not even a hard freeze and even my cannas didn't die this
winter!

My working title of the book is:

"When North Moves South:
The Mistakes We Make"

Anyway, I am in pain right now and I took pain medication so I get
verbose and weepy when I am on darvon! Sorry

Victoria

Old 13-04-2006, 10:52 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Default When North Moves South...

Jangchub typed:

[snip]

It's so important to be careful how and what we plant in the
landscape. I've made many mistakes, that's for sure.

I have a question; I may have asked before, but if I wrote a book
for northerners who move to Central Texas, do you think it would be
helpful to enough people?

That's a WONderful idea! Can you include SE TX too?
Cindy

Old 14-04-2006, 12:23 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:52:05 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

Jangchub typed:

[snip]

It's so important to be careful how and what we plant in the
landscape. I've made many mistakes, that's for sure.

I have a question; I may have asked before, but if I wrote a book
for northerners who move to Central Texas, do you think it would be
helpful to enough people?

That's a WONderful idea! Can you include SE TX too?
Cindy

I could include SE TX also, but I don't have experience gardening in
that region. A lot of the terrain is completely different based on
the corridor within regions.

In the Austin area we embrace four of ten regions in TX. There are
species which only live in the corridor, some only live on the east or
west side, and some which can traverse between all of them.

If you are more intrested in this stuff, taking the Master Naturalist
classes from Texas Parks, and Kelly Bender (or at least she was) the
biologist who ran the program. It's amazing how much we don't know!

Victoria
Old 18-04-2006, 07:09 PM posted to austin.gardening
B F Smith

Clint.... Have you thought about bamboo? If you start and care for it
for a while it can grow and screen alot out. I have used it to almost '
jungle-ize' my place. I'm a bit So. of Austin.
BF Smith

Old 18-04-2006, 09:57 PM posted to austin.gardening
marcesent

Don't plant bamboo unless you want to fight it back for the rest of your
days - or until you move.

As the saying goes: "You can never kill bamboo. All you can do is hunt
down the man who planted it and kill him."

And even be careful of "non-spreading" bamboo....some of it still spreads
here due to our mild winters.

Julie

oups.com...

Old 18-04-2006, 11:39 PM posted to austin.gardening
TLR

hahaha!!

I know there's truth there, but that's pretty funny I have wondered if
the non-running type would grow in Cedar Park... on 6 inches of crappy soil
over caliche ?

How fast does it grow? I really need a fast-growing privacy screen.

Teri

Old 19-04-2006, 12:28 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

I've been tempted by thuja from time to time. It seems to do well,
but then I'll see one which was healthy today, and totally brown
tomorrow.

I have an Afghan pine and it has put on three feet in the last year.
It does not like water too much, grows in our rocky, dry soil, and is
healthy if you don't overwater it. I just looked out there and it is
putting out foot long candles right now and we have not had much rain.

Old 19-04-2006, 02:24 AM posted to austin.gardening
marcesent

My best friend lives in Cedar Park and her husband planted bamboo as a
"privacy screen" by their bedroom 5 years ago.

I told him baaaaad idea.

They were soon mowing bamboo out of their lawn - 20 feet away. It was
supposed to be a "non-running" type. They have tried every herbicide
possible, concrete, digging it out, depriving it of water, even setting it
on fire with gasoline.

I still get the I-told-you-so's in every year.. Ha ha!

Julie

. net...

Old 19-04-2006, 03:42 AM posted to austin.gardening
TLR

Wow, that's interesting, informative and a bit scary. I do have to wonder
if it truly was a non-invasive type!
Clumping bamboos is supposed to be genetically incapable of expanding more
than a few inches a year. However, I did read a while back that some types
of clumping bamboo do spread faster than others, but at a much slower rate
than the underground runner type.
However, this may be entirely relative if not expecting any spreading at
all!

Anybody else growing clumping bamboo in the northerly-easterly burbs?

Teri

"marcesent" wrote in message
My best friend lives in Cedar Park and her husband planted bamboo as a
"privacy screen" by their bedroom 5 years ago.

I told him baaaaad idea.

They were soon mowing bamboo out of their lawn - 20 feet away. It was
supposed to be a "non-running" type. They have tried every herbicide
possible, concrete, digging it out, depriving it of water, even setting it
on fire with gasoline.

I still get the I-told-you-so's in every year.. Ha ha!

Julie

Thuja "Green giant" supplier in UK Julian200 United Kingdom 0 12-05-2011 02:30 PM
Thuja Green Giant ctlady Gardening 1 22-08-2007 09:27 PM
Thuja Green Giant Screening Trees: Your Experience Buster Chops Lawns 1 28-08-2006 02:06 AM
local source for Thuja "Green Giant"? MMarks Texas 0 16-02-2006 06:00 PM
Thuja Green Giant Jack Gardening 0 04-02-2006 04:55 PM