Old 21-04-2006, 04:37 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Buffalo Grass

Hi. I am a completely clueless homeowner. We just got our house last year.
It's an old place that was built over a cow pasture. (East of I-35 in San
Marcos.) The "soil" is dark clay. Weeds grow great in it!
So I outsmarted myself and bought 6 lbs of Buffalo grass this morning. We
have a really big back yard and I want to just plant that and forget it.
I thought I could just throw out the seed and water it for a week or so then
forget it. Unfortunately, as I was leaving the seed store, the kind man who
weighed out the seeds told me to be sure that the soil is broken up really
finely since the seeds are so large and light weight and to be sure to plant
them only as deep as half of the first joint on my little finger.
Plant? Plant! Who am I? What am I doing? I have degenerative disease in
my knees and a birth defect on top of that. Get around slowly with a cane.
I also have fibromyalgia and will have a hard time with planting and
breaking up soil. If I can even figure out how to do it.
Am I going to have to learn how to make soup out of $98 worth of Buffalo
Grass seeds? Or can someone tell me where to go and what to do when I get
there?
Thanks!
Beverly

--
Eschew Obfuscation.

Old 23-04-2006, 01:27 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

There's a short paragraph at the below weblink that confirms the
shopkeeper's instructions for planting Buffalo grass seed.
http://www.easywildflowers.com/quality/buc.dacty.htm

Bermuda (Sahara variety) would also suit your area. Planting seed has
similar requirements.

Just throwing the seed out to wherever may eventually grow in a few spots
and string out to cover. It takes alot longer this way.
--
Jonny

Old 23-04-2006, 01:31 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

I'd like to add that buffalo grass is the only native short prairie
which ca be used as turf and it prefers poor soil and does not like
being overwatered. It's not a very easy grass to germinate, but if
you don't have a lot of weeds competing with it, it's beautiful.