Old 19-05-2006, 07:13 PM posted to austin.gardening
David Wright

Default Alternative to Oleander

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
In article et,
"David Wright" wrote:

Another, taller, plant that also would fit is cenizo. Here's a link for
you:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...cophyllumfrute
s.htm

David

Oh wow!
How long does it keep those blooms????

Not very long, I'm sorry to say. They bloom best a few days after a
thunderstorm, but the blooms last only a week or so, if that. The story I
first learned was that they make flowers after the plants are stimulated by
lightning-fixed nitrogen. I've since read that this is a myth, but haven't
seen evidence either way. I do know that they bloom after a good rain, and
watering-by-hose doesn't seem to work as well. Maybe we have someone here
with enough knowledge of the appropriate plant physiology who can cite some
references.

I am SO into xeriscaping to save money on water!

I'm with you on that, Om, but I have to confess to growing water-thirsty
vegetables on about 10-15 percent of my yard. The rest is given over to
natives and adjusted plants that can handle the heat and drought.

Back OT, another alternative to oleander to consider is Turk's Cap. Works in
sun or partial shade, and is great for butterflies and hummingbirds. We have
three, so far, and they are an important part of our B&H friendly xeriscape.

David in San Antonio

Old 20-05-2006, 04:23 AM posted to austin.gardening
jOhN

"David Wright" wrote:

[...]

Turk's Cap is pretty cool. My one plant has reseeded over the last 10-12
years and the mass of growth is about 6ft in diameter. I give it no
direct care for the most part, although it gets some watering from
sprinkling the nearby grass.

One year the bumblebees were so thick on the flowers it was a little
scary to walk by it.
Old 20-05-2006, 02:50 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Fri, 19 May 2006 15:04:18 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

I have the blue and white and tons of babies growing all under them.
In the fall if you want a white one, I can pot it up.
______________________________

Thanks for the offer! I'm in Spring, though.
Cindy

Yeah, well it is not time to dig something out and plant it. Failure
is very good if I dug out a tree now to put it in your garden.

No, I mean I live in Spring, in the Houson area, so it would be a bit hard
to get the tree. But I thank you.
Cindy

Oh, hahah!

Oleander - How Poisonous? David Hare-Scott Gardening 14 06-05-2003 11:20 AM
Oleander Big Wave Lawns 0 28-04-2003 08:32 PM
Oleander yellow aphids bentcajungirl Lawns 1 28-04-2003 05:56 AM
Red Oleander Seeds Angela Coffey Gardening 2 26-04-2003 05:08 PM
Propagation of oleander ncstockguy North Carolina 1 06-03-2003 07:03 PM