Old 19-05-2006, 02:51 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

Default Spinach

Spinach appears to be reacting to the heat by raising its leaves toward the
sky. Noticed these not having as much sun, don't raise their leaves as high
and not degrading as much. Worst not growing very well. Some leaves are
yellowing near ground. When should I write these off?

--
Jonny

Old 22-05-2006, 06:29 PM posted to austin.gardening
David Wright

"Jonny" wrote in message
k.net...
Spinach appears to be reacting to the heat by raising its leaves toward
the sky. Noticed these not having as much sun, don't raise their leaves
as high and not degrading as much. Worst not growing very well. Some
leaves are yellowing near ground. When should I write these off?

Now. Spinach is not a hot-weather plant. There's hope though. I have some
Malabar "spinach" (see http://sd1new.net/GardenPages/spinach.htm up and
going, and I hope it will give us some greens, along with the chard and baby
bok choy, through the summer.

BTW, I'm also trying Jericho lettuce for the first time, and so far, so
good. It's a heat resistant romaine-type, developed in Israel.

David

Old 23-05-2006, 07:45 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

You are not going to get spinach or many greens to thrive in the
summer here. Certainly not bok choy, or other cool weather crops.

On Mon, 22 May 2006 17:29:35 GMT, "David Wright"
wrote:

nk.net...

Old 23-05-2006, 09:56 PM posted to austin.gardening
David Wright

"Jangchub" wrote in message
You are not going to get spinach or many greens to thrive in the
summer here. Certainly not bok choy, or other cool weather crops.

I'm growing Green Fortune Baby Pak Choi (said to be heat-resistant) from
reneesgarden.com, and it's doing nicely so far in this hotter-than-usual
May. I have it in a bed in dappled shade under a red bud tree, along with
some Jericho lettuce. I'm growing both thickly, and using 3-4 inch thinnings
for salads, along with curly endive and escarole that are still growing well
in the sun. As mentioned before, the Malabar "spinach" is not a true
spinach, just looks like it.

David

Old 25-05-2006, 01:30 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

"David Wright" wrote in message
k.net...

"Jonny" wrote in message
k.net...
Spinach appears to be reacting to the heat by raising its leaves toward
the sky. Noticed these not having as much sun, don't raise their leaves
as high and not degrading as much. Worst not growing very well. Some
leaves are yellowing near ground. When should I write these off?

Now. Spinach is not a hot-weather plant. There's hope though. I have some
Malabar "spinach" (see http://sd1new.net/GardenPages/spinach.htm up and
going, and I hope it will give us some greens, along with the chard and
baby bok choy, through the summer.

BTW, I'm also trying Jericho lettuce for the first time, and so far, so
good. It's a heat resistant romaine-type, developed in Israel.

David

Excuse the delay in my reply.

The spinach is looking worse everyday. And I agree, it appears to be heat
related. So, am pulling them up so I don't have to watch them die. Not
sure what I will replace them with.

My leaf lettuce is mostly fully matured. Its doing well despite the heat.
Not sure of the specific species, bought the seed at the local Dollar
General store. Its got the light green leaves commonly seen at the grocery
store advertised as leaf lettuce. They vary from 6" to 12" high. The ones
with the seed stalks on top are nearing 2'.
--
Jonny

Old 25-05-2006, 01:45 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Thu, 25 May 2006 12:30:55 GMT, "Jonny"
wrote:

"David Wright" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Jonny" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

Seed stalks? That lettuce is inedible now. It has bolted and the
leaf lettuce will be very bitter to taste.

How does spinach grow, pls? Request for some info re spinach. fitwell Edible Gardening 11 03-06-2004 03:11 AM
Spinach spikes will United Kingdom 14 05-06-2003 09:19 AM
Unbelievable Spinach! clc Edible Gardening 4 15-04-2003 07:56 PM
spinach again Larry Blanchard Edible Gardening 12 28-03-2003 03:20 PM
Newbie Q: Baby spinach Irving Kimura Edible Gardening 4 04-02-2003 02:43 AM