Old 17-07-2006, 05:10 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default Those funnel-shaped indentations in the dirt?

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

What insect makes those perfectly shaped, inverted cone-shaped
impressions in the dirt? I was watching them at work this weekend
- about 6 all with a square foot, each one spinning around under
the dirt kicking up soil into a perfectly smooth funnel shape.

I couldn't see what they under that dirt, but my guess is that
small ants or other insects walk across the funnel and make the
dirt fall into the funnel, allowing the unknown insect at the
bottom to detect where the prey is, and pounce at it.

I'd like to look them up and get their story, but I don't know
what they are. Anyone?

-sw

http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il...s/antlion.html

It's what a lot of the "pit monsters" in Sci-Fi are based on I think. G
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 17-07-2006, 07:58 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:10:34 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il...s/antlion.html

Thanks for the link and name.

I thought it might be a spider of some sort. What a unique bug!
What will they ever think up next?

-sw

Cool aren't they? :-)

They are one of my favorite bugs.