Old 14-02-2007, 08:39 PM posted to austin.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

Default Where does compost go?

For the past four years I have bought compost (composted horse manure) to
put in flower beds and around trees & shrubs. The first two years I bought
one cubic yard but the last two years I bought two cubic yards. I get it
from a landscape place on the east side of I-35, just south of Georgetown.

We spread it two to three inches thick in the flower beds and probably a bit
more around trees and shrubs. We work it in slightly in the beds. But
every spring, we need more compost; will get two more yards this year.

What I want to know is, where does all that compost go to. I can understand
how it gets spread out from the trees by rain, but the flower beds are all
raised and have landscape timbers above the dirt line, so it doesn't get
washed out of them.

Anyone know what happens to the compost? Bob

Old 14-02-2007, 08:49 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 14:39:00 -0600, "Bob"
wrote:

For the past four years I have bought compost (composted horse manure) to
put in flower beds and around trees & shrubs. The first two years I bought
one cubic yard but the last two years I bought two cubic yards. I get it
from a landscape place on the east side of I-35, just south of Georgetown.

We spread it two to three inches thick in the flower beds and probably a bit
more around trees and shrubs. We work it in slightly in the beds. But
every spring, we need more compost; will get two more yards this year.

What I want to know is, where does all that compost go to. I can understand
how it gets spread out from the trees by rain, but the flower beds are all
raised and have landscape timbers above the dirt line, so it doesn't get
washed out of them.

Anyone know what happens to the compost? Bob

Compost is decomposing and soil biota digest it and make it available
to plants as nutrient rich organic matter. Also, it is best to cover
the compost with shredded mulch as heat directly from the sun can also
break compost down quickly in the garden.